XXXIV

He'd gotten progressively more excited and more nervous as the weeks had passed. He knew Brett was the same, even though they'd not talked about the bunking thing. But he saw it in his eyes. 
His mum just thought he was nervous about the orchestra, so that was fine. 
He actually wasn't that nervous about the music, he'd practiced and he knew he'd be fine, but he'd lain awake at night, thinking about what it would be like once Brett was sleeping a metre away from him.
But finally, finally now the morning was there. Soon he'd be getting on the fast train to Sydney with a whole bunch of other kids, and he'd be staying there for two weeks. Two whole weeks of music, friends, and Brett. 
He was so excited he couldn't sit still, and he caught his mum smiling at him a few times. She couldn't resist giving him some advice, though. 
¨Eddy, you going to do your very best every day, yes?¨ she said in English. 
¨Yes mum, of course. That's why I'm going.¨
¨You not going to miss any classes?¨ 
¨No mum. I really will do my best.¨
She nodded, only slightly mollified, and suddenly she patted him on the shoulder. 
¨Come, I drive you to the station.¨
He knew they were early, but he picked up his bags and followed her out to the car meekly. Brett's dad was going to drive him to the station too, so he was going to see him there, but they had like half an hour to spare. His mum was always early for everything. He rolled his eyes, making sure she couldn't see. What was the point of always being early? What did she think would happen, exactly? A meteor would land and block their path, causing them to have to make a detour via Canberra, or something? 

They got to the station and he was in fact more than half an hour early. There were already kids there though, and he recognised a couple of them. But no Brett yet. 
¨Hey, Eddy!¨ a tall boy called. He thought his name was Todd. 
¨Hi!¨ he called back, picking up his bags and moving closer. 
¨Er, your violin still in the car?¨ Todd asked. 
It was like a giant stone dropped on Eddy's head as realisation suddenly dawned. FUCK!!! His violin! No!!
He turned back to his mum, his face wide with panic. Fuck, what was he going to say?
¨Mum... I forgot my violin!¨ he blurted out, his voice about an octave higher than normal. 
Her eyes widened and she opened her mouth to start berating him. He could feel himself becoming smaller in anticipation. 
¨Eddy!!¨ was all she said though, and then she turned around. 
¨Mum!¨ he called. 
¨I'll go and get your violin. Wait here until I'm back!¨ she said in Mandarin now, and he knew she didn't want the others to understand. 
She walked away, muttering words he knew she didn't want him to use, leaving him to wait, completely in shock. Fuck, would she even have enough time? 
The irony of his uncharitable thoughts about earlyness wasn't lost on him. Her being early might just save his arse today... 
Suddenly he felt a hand on his shoulder, and when he turned around he looked directly into Brett's worried eyes.
¨Hey, bro, is it true, did you forget your violin?¨
He just nodded, mortified. Of all the stupid things. 
¨Don't worry, I'll wait with you.¨ Brett said then. 
He smiled at him, but he knew he'd never let him. If he was going to miss the train, that was his own problem, not Brett's. But it was a lovely thing for him to offer. 
He knew the other kids were sniggering at him, and to be honest he couldn't blame them. He shook his head miserably. What an absolute moron he'd been. He looked up at the clock, and for once he willed it to go more slowly. Please, let her get back here. Don't let me miss the train.
There were five minutes to go now. Please, don't let the train be early!¨
Brett had come and sat next to him without a word, just smiling at him whenever he glanced in his direction. 
It was time now, the train could get here any second. He looked at the second hand ticking, and he heard the sound of the rail tracks humming. There was a train coming. Fuck. This was it, he was going to miss his train. He had to try very hard to keep the frustrated tears down. 

But then, just as the train rolled into the station there was another hand on his shoulder and when his head shot in that direction he saw his mum, holding his violin. 
Oh my God. His mum was an absolute angel. He would never be mad at her again. He'd never been this relieved in his life, and before he could stop himself he jumped up and threw his arms around his mum. 
¨Thank you mum, thank you so much¨, he whispered feverishly. 
She smiled, slightly bemused. 
¨Just don't do that again, Eddy. Have a good trip.¨
¨I will!¨ The train was rolling in behind them now. 
He smiled at his mum one more time and then looked at Brett, his eyes shining now. 
¨Let's go to Sydney!¨