LIV

Mr. Davids was back after the break, and Eddy was really glad. He looked fine, as well, so he could just relax into his chair and enjoy making music again.
Eddy was actually a bit sore from all the playing, and he guessed also from standing at a weird angle in the park. 
Mr. David's eyes were shiny and there was a hint of amusement to his lips.
¨So, I hear some of you have been playing the Mendelssohn quartet this morning that you heard us play last week! I liked hearing that we inspired you. I would encourage you all to do stuff like that a lot. The more you play, in different formations and different music, the more well-rounded you'll become as a musician.¨
A lot of the kids nodded, and Eddy found himself doing the same. To be honest, that was exactly what he wanted to do. 
This rehearsal was extra special to him, because he knew it was pretty much the last. Tomorrow there'd mostly be some presentations and stuff, and then everybody would be heading back to their hometowns, all over Australia. So he sat and he tried to feel it all, to absorb this orchestra, the best orchestra he'd ever been in, so he'd never forget how it felt.
The best orchestra he'd ever been in yet, he corrected himself quickly. At the conservatory he'd be in better ones, no doubt. Or maybe even in front of them, his face to the audience... 

All too soon the rehearsal ended and he found himself walking to the conductor.
¨Mr. Davids? I just wanted to say thank you, for everything. For the conducting and the advice.¨
Mr. Davids smiled his benevolent smile.
¨You're very welcome, Eddy, it's been a pleasure. If you or Brett ever need advice, you can contact me at any point, okay?¨
Wow. Really? He could feel the smile spreading on his face before he could stop it.
¨Thank you, mr. Davids!¨

Brett was waiting for him, his violin case already on his back as Eddy bent over to his own case and grimaced. 
¨What's up? You look like you're in pain?¨
¨Yeah, I must have stood wonky in the park or something.¨
Brett's eyebrows knitted together. 
¨Do you want me to give you a massage?¨
It was an innocent enough question, really, but suddenly all of Eddy's nerves seemed to be on high alert and he had to try his best not to stutter.
¨Er, actually, that would be lovely, if you don't mind.¨
There, that sounded normal enough, no?

They walked in silence to their room, where Brett pointed to one of the chairs. Eddy sat down and put his elbows on the table, his head resting in his hands.
¨Can... can I take off your shirt?¨ Brett said in his shy voice.
¨Oh, yeah, of course.¨ Eddy took off his shirt in one swift movement.
¨We don't have any oil or anything.¨
Brett put his hands on his shoulders, and oh. Eddy forgot the pain straight away. Brett's hands were soft and warm, and he kneaded his muscles like he was working in a bakery or something. It was heavenly. 
His sure fingers found the sore muscle and rubbed it, following the contours of his shoulders, his thumbs pressing down into Eddy's heated skin. 
¨Ah, that's just it, Brett.¨ Eddy said, trying to keep his voice normal.
¨Yeah, I can feel it's stiff, but it's loosening already.¨ 
Something in Brett's soft voice told Eddy that he wasn't unaffected by this either. 
Eddy closed his eyes and relaxed into his touch.
¨Right, can you try and move?¨ Brett said then, releasing him.
Eddy tentatively rolled his shoulders and moved his head from left to right.
¨That's so much better, Brett, thank you!¨
¨Cool. Well, we should go and eat, no? I'll just go toilet, okay?¨
By the time Eddy had turned around Brett was already disappearing into their bathroom and Eddy smiled to himself. 
Yep. Brett was definitely affected too. 
He breathed deeply, trying to calm himself down again, before reaching for his shirt and putting it back on. 
¨Ready?¨ Brett said, as he came back out of their bathroom a few minutes later.
¨Yep!¨
Eddy walked over and put his hand on Brett's shoulder.
¨Thanks, Bretty. That really helped.¨ 
He gave Brett a soft, sweet peck on the cheek, before walking triumphantly out of their room towards the cafeteria.