LXI

Once again it was hard to focus, but for an entirely different reason now. Shit, how was it going to go for Todd? Would his parents be supportive? Or would they be mad? Kick him out? Shit, what would happen if they kicked him out? He knew full well he couldn't make Todd the same promise Todd had made him. He didn't hold out much hope for Todd being allowed to stay with him, should it go wrong. 
He just really, really hoped it would go well. Now that it was Todd, and not him, he could see so clearly how ridiculous it would be if it didn't go well. I mean, what kind of parent would not want their child to just be happy? What kind of parent would reject their child for just being who they were born to be?
He knew exactly what kind of parent, of course. It was the kind who'd been raised to believe certain things. The wrong things. He knew that for certain now. But he didn't know, he couldn't even begin to know how he'd ever change things. 

He struggled his way through dinner because he was so nervous for Todd, and of course his mum noticed.
¨What's going on, Eddy? You sick?¨
He gave her a quick smile. He knew the right answer here.
¨No, mum, I'm not sick. I'm just thinking about tomorrow, back to school.¨
She nodded. ¨Well, eat up and get back to work then.¨
¨Yes, mum.¨

He closed his bedroom door behind him and ran to his computer. He turned it on and gathered his school books while it booted up. He really needed to do his homework too. 
He quickly typed a message to Todd.

     ¨I'm here, mate.¨

Then he opened his books and bent over them, trying to study for yet another wretched French test. Oh God, how he hated French. 
He managed to get some good work in, though, and still there had not been a 'bing' from his computer. Would Todd be okay? 

Despite the fact that he was waiting for a sound he jumped a foot in the air when his phone rang. He scrambled up and grabbed it.
¨Hey, Todd, mate, tell me!¨
There was silence on the other end of the line for just a moment.
¨Well...¨ Todd said then, and his voice sounded a bit brittle. ¨It... it went okay, I guess.¨
Suddenly small sobs came over the phone line and Eddy's heart sank. Shit, Todd was crying, and he was all alone.
¨Hey, mate, you okay? Do I need to come over?¨
He could hear Todd's deep breath even over the phone line.
¨No, mate, thank you. Sorry for bawling like that, it's just... it's a lot.¨
Eddy nodded, even though he knew Todd couldn't see him.
¨I get that, Todd, it doesn't matter. I'm listening.¨
¨That means a lot, Eddy. Anyway. It went okay. It's like... once you say it you can never take it back. It was fucking scary. But they... well, they were clearly shocked, they hadn't seen it coming at all I think. But... but they said they loved me no matter what, and my mum hugged me, like, seriously tight. I... I think they just have to get used to the idea a bit.¨

Relief flooded through Eddy, and he released a breath he hadn't even realised he was holding. Pfew. Todd's parents seemed to have handled it pretty well.
¨That sounds pretty good, Todd. I mean... I guess I can understand they have to get used to the idea?¨
¨Yeah.¨ Todd's voice sounded calmer now, and the sobbing had stopped. Eddy was glad, because he had no idea what to do, really. He didn't even know if he was saying any of the right things. 
¨Are you alright, mate?¨ he asked him. He felt really stupid asking, because he didn't think he was alright at all. But he didn't know what else to say. 
¨Yeah. I'm okay. It was a big night. I'm glad we could talk.¨
¨Good. Well, I'll keep my phone on, okay? You can call any time, even in the middle of the night.¨
¨Thanks, Eddy. I guess I'll try to get some sleep.¨
Eddy smiled wryly. Yeah. Sleep.
¨Yeah, me too, mate. Good night.¨
¨Good night.¨