Chapter 93

Mason said" No, no, no!" Then he lost, I laughed," You swear you weren't cheating?"
Liam said" I swear to god."
" Fine. One more game."
" I have to get back to studying."
" Uh, you need any help with anything?"
" What, you wanna help me study?"
" I'm your best friend, I can help you study."
" Nah, go home, dude."
" Uh... you mind if I... I mean is, is it cool if..."
" What, you wanna stay over?"
" Yeah, is that all right?"
" I mean, yeah, if you tell me why."
" What do you mean why? Maybe I just wanna hang out."
" What about Corey?"
" Nah, he's at a library study group."
" We haven't had a sleepover since we were 10. What's going on?"
" You remember that body that we found? You know, the one without the face? I can't get it out of my head."
" Yeah, me, too."
" No. Dude, I'm... I mean, I, I literally can't get it out of my head. You know what after images are?"
" Uh, you mean, like, when you look at a light bulb and when you look away you still kind of see it?"
" Yeah. Well, there's this more extreme version called palinopsia. It literally means seeing again. I mean, the image just stays with you... and you see it again. And again."
" So, where are you seeing the body?"
" Everywhere."
——
Brett's missing, and I was taken home by Mason, I was pacing my room, my eyes glowed. I huffed, I don't like this, I don't like this, I don't like this! I... don't... like... this! I growled, I pushed my table, it fell over, everything on it flew around the room. I breathed heavily, I'm not angry... why am I acting like I'm angry? I took a deep breathe then ran to my bed, I pulled the box out from under it and pulled one of Stiles' flannels. I nuzzled my face into the sleeve, my eyes went back to normal. I heard a creak, I looked at my door, I gulped,
I said" Daddy?" I opened my door and peeked out," Thought you's was working tonight?" I sniffed the air, the scent was old, I tilted my head, I don't like this. There's no new scents either, except for Mason's who unlocked the front door. I walked to the front door and peeked out, I saw no one, I gulped and closed the door behind me as I walked out.
I shifted when I felt Scott got hurt, huh? What's going on?! I thought these were new hunters? There's no way new hunters got around Scott, that's not possible! Scott's fought hunters before! I gulped, sniffing the air, I started following Scott's scent. No... not Scott's scent, if he's hurt there's danger, and I don't heal like he does. I get shot... I'm dead. I get an arrow in my chest... I'm dead. Where Scott is isn't safe... I need to go to someone else, Mason and Corey, yeah! They aren't with Scott, Malia, and Liam.

I wolf-ran to the school, and stopped as I got to the library, I walked in and saw them. I walked to them and scooted into the chair in front of Mason.
Mason said" 68 miles, 68 degrees... route 68?" Must be Lydia's prediction thingy,
Corey said" Lydia will call us when she has something."
" Yeah, I just wish I could be there. You know, to help her..."
" Be alone?"
" Yeah, good point. Riley-" Nolan dropped his books onto the table, I tilted my head,
" Hey, Nolan."
" Studying for bio test?"
Nolan said" Trying. Yeah." He sat in the seat next to me, he smelled afraid, something's up. I don't like it, and I don't like that Mason's near him. Mason's only human." Um, trying to understand how organisms evolve and change. Like, how a fish can turn into an alligator." He kept glancing to Corey, his eyes moving fast,
" Uh, alligators aren't fish, um, they're reptiles. And they hatch-"
Corey said" And isn't the test on DNA versus RNA?" My eyes flashed quickly as I looked at Nolan, yeah, I don't like how he's acting.
Nolan said" Do you think DNA changes?"
Mason said" If it's damaged, yeah. A change in DNA could cause cancer."
" So organisms can change, organisms change. They can change right in front of your eyes." He's targeting Corey, he has to be, but how does he know?! No one knows about Corey. I slid under the table and pulled myself onto Mason's lap, I reached over to Corey and grabbed his jacket.
Corey said" I don't think this is on the test."
" Yeah. I wonder if organisms can change, and then change back. Like, they can be two things at once."
Mason said" Uh, parrotfish are protogynous hermaphrodites, both male and female. Um, hawkfish change and change back. As well as earthworms, of course, but..."
Corey said" That's definitely not on the test, or any high school test."
Nolan said" I wonder if any of us have changed. And if we did, would there be any way to tell?" My grip on Corey's jacket tightened, I tucked my head between Mason's shoulder and neck.
Mason said" Like a DNA test?"
" I was thinking a different type of test..." Mason and Corey looked at each other, Nolan stabbed Corey with a pen. We stood up, Mason's arm holding me to him,
" What the hell is wrong with you?" Mason dropped me as Nolan tried to grab Corey's hand. I jumped onto the table, and tried to help, then Nolan got Corey's hand.
" Look, look at him!" Corey covered his hand back up,
" Wait, he's fine. It's just a scratch." Everyone was looking at us, I gulped, sitting down, Mason pulled me off the table and onto his hip.

We met with Lydia,
She said" It was about Nolan."
Corey said" Would've been nice to know before he attacked me."
" No, he wasn't trying to hurt you. He was trying to expose you. That was a test."
Mason said" Well, you definitely failed. It was a geyser, half the library staring. You didn't even have a scratch."
Corey said" Yeah, I remember, because it was, like, five minutes ago."
" Why would Nolan do that?"
I said" He smelled like fear."
Lydia said" He's afraid."
Corey said" Of me?"
" Of us."
" I thought your premonition was about people turning on each other?"
" I was wrong." Everyone was staring at us, I hid behind Mason, holding onto his jacket.
" They're gonna turn on us."
" And I think it's already started." Then I heard Liam's roar, I looked up, looking around, I dug my face into Mason's side.