Chapter 66

I was pouncing at Tigger, everyone was reading a book downstairs, Stiles says I have to stay away from them and I don't like that. I rolled, holding Tigger in my arms, I growled then got bored... I walked down the steps,
Scotty said" Anyone feeling anything yet?"
Kira said" Tired."
Lydia said" Hungry."
Theo said" I think he meant the book." I walked out, and to Scotty, I nuzzled his side then nuzzled Kira's arm,
I said" They know. Lydia's a genius." I jumped to Lydia, she opened one of her arms, I cuddled into her side. Then looked at the book, tilting my head a little,
Scotty said" Hey, don't read that, Riley."
" Why're you reading it?"
" Big kid problem."
" Okay." I got up and walked to Stiles, holding onto his hoodie,
Stiles said" Bub, thought I told you to stay in Scotty's room."
" Be with you. And thirsty."
" Your obsession with me is slightly concerning, but I am your anchor... so, not that much." He lifted me onto the counter and turned to the fridge, grabbing a juice box. He put the straw in it and gave it to me, I began drinking, as he pulled my hair back into a knot.
Malia said" Is he ever gonna get a hair cut?"
I said" Never!"
" I said the word..."
" Never never never!" Stiles covered my mouth,
He said" Okay, bub, we know. We know. You're never gonna get that, ever, okay? Never." I nuzzled my face against his chest," Okay, see all better."

They were reading the book, I was cuddled up to Stiles, holding Tigger in my arms. I yawned, then closed my eyes, gripping Stiles' hoodie in one hand to make sure he stayed.
——
We walked into the school, I was holding Stiles' hand.
Scotty said" What if we need some kind of trigger? Wasn't Malia driving when she remembered the crash?"
Stiles said" Yeah, but how are we supposed to trigger a memory that we don't remember?"
" Maybe it's a delayed thing. Maybe you have to wait a couple of hours to see what happens." Then the lights flickered, Stiles pulled me closer to him. Stiles and Scotty looked at each other before looking at Kira.
Kira said" That wasn't me. I swear."
" We keep an eye on each other today, okay?"
Stiles said" Yes, and keep an eye out for eight other potentially homicidal chimeras."
Kira said" And keep an eye out for the Dread Doctors." Scotty and Kira walked away,
" Starting to see the appeal of a third eye." We started walking, I looked at him," What, Riley?"
I said" What's hom-homi-homi-ki-dal?"
" Uh... why do I say these things while a 6 year old is next to me?"
" Ask Scott?"
" No, no... uh, remember Peter, uh... when I had a buzzcut?"
" Not really."
" Yeah, totally... because you were a four year old."
" Huh?"
" Uh... it's a big kid word. And you totally said it wrong, and what have we talked about?"
" Not to ask questions if I can't say the word."
" You listened to me? When did you start listening to me?"
" When you stopped talking really fast and it sounded normal."
" Sarcasm... touché, little bro." I smiled, giggling," Yeah, come on, dork. And you know what, Liam is pup-sitting today, because if we're right, I don't want you to be around when I get the memory back or whatever."
" Yay, Liam!" Stiles rolled his eyes, I giggled,
" You're so weird, Riley."

I was with Mason and Brett, Liam was on the field, practicing lacrosse or something.
Brett said" I don't know, dude. Everyone at Devenford's pretty abnormal to me." I felt something wrong, I sniffed the air, no penny smell... no chimera.
Mason said" All right. What else is there to look for?" Brett grabbed my arm as I went to fall, he pulled me back up and put me behind him and Mason. I laid my head on Mason's shoulder." There's heightened strength, smell, hearing, speed..."
" Uh, able to see in the dark."
" Glowing eyes."
" Eyes that reflect light."
" Visible scorpion stingers protruding out of limbs?"
" Yeah. Or three foot lizard tails." Then Liam missed a shot, I tilted my head, then looked at Mason. Liam and Hayden, the girl who doesn't like Liam, started having a competition silently. Then Liam pushed the goalie back when he threw the ball with wolf strength.
Brett said" What's up with those two?"
Mason said" Sixth grade. That's not the best year for Liam's anger management issues. There was a... this fight in the hallways. Liam and this other guy. Hayden sort of accidentally walked into it. And this is her yearbook photo." Mason showed Brett a photo, I started to pace behind them, something was wrong. I don't like the feeling.
" Ah, damn."
" Yeah."
" Ow. What did she do to him?" Then they laughed, A guy ran onto the field, I looked at him.
He said" Does anyone here have asthma? Anyone got an inhaler?" My head tilted, then I took off running, resisting the urge to run faster by going onto four feet.
I slid into the hallway, and ran into the room, Scott was sitting against the desk.
Liam said" I got it! I got the inhaler!" He ran in, and crouched next to Scott, I started to change." Scott. Scott, come on." Liam's eyes glowed, my eyes flashed," Scott."
I whimpered" Alpha..." Scotty woke up, and took the inhaler.
He said" Thanks." I nuzzled my face against Scotty's neck," I'm okay, Riley."

I was holding Liam's hand, Stiles texted Liam to watch me till he called, he went with Lydia somewhere. We started walking slower, I whined,
I heard Hayden say" What?"
Liam said" Nothing." We walked normal again,
I said" Liam?" He wasn't paying attention," Liam!"
" Huh? What?" I tilted my head, lookin at him," Yeah, Ri?"
" What're you doing?"
" Nothing. Nothing."
" You're weird."
" I know, you told me that like a million times." He lifted me up and turned me upside down, I laughed, squeaking.
" Liam! Don't drop me!"
" I'm not gonna drop you, Riley." He turned me right side up, I smiled and laid my head on his shoulder.
——
Liam said" It's $25." He's been giving money to Hayden, I don't really get why, but whatever.
Hayden said" Liam, please stop." We started walking again, Liam held onto my hand.
" I promised I'd pay you back."
" It doesn't matter now. And Phil takes half of it anyway." Liam continued to follow her,
" I know it's for your medication. So please, just take the money."
" No. It wasn't your fault."
" I punched you in the face."
" I meant the shots."
" Oh."
" It's for mycophenolate. It's for a kidney transplant I had a few years ago. I work here so my sister doesn't have to pay for all of it. Now, could you just forget about it? I'll make it back somehow."
" Does Phil really take half?"
" And never stops bragging about it? Just listen to him." I knew Liam was listening,
" Hayden. Can I ask you to do something else for me?"
" What?"
" Close your eyes."
" Are you kidding?" I started chewing at my shirt,
" Please?"
" No."
" Just for two seconds. I swear, I am not gonna do anything."
" Why?"
" All you have to do is close your eyes for three seconds."
" You said two."
" Okay, well, three. Three at the most." Hayden closed her eyes, Liam grabbed a glow stick,
" This is stupid."
" Just one second." He cracked the glow stick and put it up to her eyes, I looked at him, then to her." Okay. Open them." She opened them and her eyes did something weird, I hid behind Liam, gripping his shirt in my hands.