Chapter 50

We ran into Doc's with the guy who smells like Derek,
Doc said" Wow."
Stiles said" Wow? Wow as in, I've seen this before and I know exactly what to do, kind of wow? 'Cause that's the kind of wow we were hoping for."
" I think you might be overestimating my abilities."
Lydia said" He's cold. Really cold."
Scotty said" Do you think this is permanent?"
Doc said" I'm not sure a medical diagnosis is even adequate. This is well beyond my experience."
Stiles said" So what do we do with him?"
" Until he wakes up? Probably not much. It might be best to leave him with me. He'll be safe here."
" You mean from Kate?"
" If she's alive and she is what you say she is, she won't be able to walk past that gate."
Lydia said" Why would she want to do this to him?"
" Knowing Kate, it's probably a reason that won't be any good for anyone but her."
Stiles said" And bad for everyone else."
" You guys should probably go home. He doesn't look to be in any danger. So maybe the rest of you should get some sleep? It is a school night... and you all need to start taking care of your own lives again."
Scott said" Someone should stay with you."
Lydia said" I'll stay. My grades are fine... despite missing a few classes."
Stiles said" I'm so not okay with this."
" Guys, go."
" No."
Scott said" Text us if anything happens."
" Nope, still not okay with it. Not going anywhere." Scotty started dragging Stiles," All right, just 'cause you're stronger..."
I sneezed then followed them, I tripped and fell into a puddle when we walked outside. My lip started shaking and I started crying,
Stiles said" Oh, shh, shh, shh, it's okay, Riley, shh." He lifted me up, putting me into my seat, I sneezed again, starting to shake," Can he get sick?"
Scott said" He's a pup, so probably. And he's also Riley, who has puked all over your room before."
" Yep. You can't get sick on me now, Bubby, you crossed the friggin border, you are not getting sick with a cold." Stiles started driving, Scotty looked at me, he smiled, I giggled, making grabby hands. He reached back and let me play with his fingers,
" So, have you figured out what's gonna happen next year?"
" Probably test if he's ready to be alone again, and go from there. If he's not ready, he's not ready." I gnawed on Scott's thumb," You know, he's more puppy like, every single day, guess he finally gave in."
" He's okay, Stiles. It's not like he's not around us constantly."
" He almost shredded my jeep because I made him stay."
" That's all Riley."
" I know, kid's good... he's learnt too much from me."
" You started it."
" I know, I know."
——
I was lifted up,
Stiles said" Come on, bub, get dressed, we gotta go."
I whined" No!"
" I will leave you here!"
" No!"
" Okay, I won't, but get dressed and I'll get you a hashbrown." I jumped up, jumping off Stiles' shoulder and rolling onto the floor next to my closet. I grabbed clothes and got dressed really fast, while he walked out. I sat on my bed, trying to tie my shoes, I growled and went to swipe at them with my claws." No! No! Don't, Riley!" He crouched down and tied my shoes for me," You'll figure it out, bub, don't get mad at the shoes." He kissed my head and lifted me up," Come on, let's go!" I giggled as he ruffled my hair and his hand got stuck," Brush your hair at school?" I giggled again, he smiled," Brushing your hair at school it is, come on!" He ran downstairs, with me still on his shoulder,
" No! Stiles, don't drop me!"
" I wouldn't drop you! You have zero faith in me, I'm hurt."

We were at the school,
Stiles said" So it's like two in the morning. I wake up and she's just lying right next to me. She just sneaks in. This was like five times a week."
Scotty said" And then what happens?"
" This..." He lifted up the back of his shirt,
" Holy..."
" Yeah. Right on, right? After that we spent the rest of the night spooning."
" That sounds okay."
" Yeah, but I'm always the little spoon. Always."
" This means you guys are together, right?" I tripped, trying to keep up with them and their really long legs, they're giants! I huffed, then got up, I ran to catch up to them.
Once I did, I kicked Stiles' ankle,
He said" Ow! Riley, what... you tripped, didn't you?" I pouted, looking at him," Okay, I'm sorry." He lifted me up," Better?"
I said" You're too big!"
" And you're tiny, I know, I know. Oh, yeah, and they don't get along."
Scott said" Riley doesn't like someone?"
" Yeah, I know, right? I think it's that whole coyote/wolf thing, you know, coyotes eat wolf pups, and Riley is a wolf pup. He's trying so hard and it hurts so bad when his wolf doesn't accept her."
" He must hate it."
" He really does, Scott, it just makes him cranky for the rest of the day."
" Did you brush his hair? Never mind. Come'er, Riley." I went into Scotty's arms, he held me on one arm while taking the brush from Stiles. He started brushing my hair, I giggled as Stiles huffed.
" I brush his hair every single night, Scott, that's as best as I can get it."
" He needs a-"
" Don't say it, or you can handle the tantrum that comes with saying that word."
" He needs one."
" I know, but I don't trust the wolf inside him long enough to get him one."
I said" Huh?"
" Nothing, bubby, just talking about big kid stuff."
" Okay!"