Chapter 51

Stiles said" Of course you're still the team captain. You got your grades up just like Coach told you to, right?"
Scotty said" Yeah, but he never told me I was back on the team. He just told me to show up at tryouts today."
" We got bigger things to deal with anyway. Did you tell Argent yet?"
" Ah! I texted him but he didn't get back to me."
" You told him his sister Kate came back from the dead over a text?"
" I didn't have the money to call France."
" Yeah, you think you got money problems? Try paying for an MRI and a visit to Eichen house."
" Another notice?"
" Yeah, this one said, final. Now, what the hell are we even doing here anyway? We got like 117 million problems..." I looked at the new players, my mouth fell open, a boy was catching every ball thrown at the goal." Okay, maybe we should practice a little bit."
I said" A little? You're bad at lacrosse."
" Okay, you know what? You're suppose to cheer me on, bub!"
" But you're..." Scotty covered my face, I looked at him,
Scotty said" Little dude, stop while you're ahead. And that means to stop talking before Stiles tickles you to death." I giggled as he let go of my face,
Stiles mumbled" I just can't with him, man, no filter... whatsoever."
" I wonder where he gets it from?" He looked at Stiles,
" Shut up."

We were in the locker room,
Stiles said" Hey, Liam. You want to explain what that was out there?"
Liam said" What do you mean?"
" That little display. Your little circus act."
" What circus act?"
" You caught every shot."
" I was in goal."
" Yeah, but nothing, not a single shot got past you."
" Yeah, I was the goalie. You guys played this game before?"
Scotty said" You're a freshman, right?"
" Yeah."
Stiles said" But you weren't here last semester."
" I transferred from Devenford prep."
Scotty said" You transferred?"
" Yeah."
" No, you got kicked out, didn't you?"
" All right. Look! Kicked or transferred, what do you guys care? I came here to play lacrosse. The team could use a few good players, right?"
Stiles said" No. No, we don't need anymore good players."
Scott said" Actually, we could sort of use a couple."
" Okay, how'd you get this good? Have you always been this good? Or did it suddenly happen just once over night? Have you ever been out in the middle of the woods during the night of a full..."
" Stiles."
" Hmm."
Liam said" Look, I learned from my stepfather, all right? He made team captain when he was a sophomore. Like you. And yeah...  I guess I'm just that good." He walked away,
Scotty said" He wasn't lying that time."
I said" You said we can't talk about being were-" Scotty lifted me up,
" Hit Stiles, he was bad." I giggled and punched Stiles' arm,
He said" Ow! Really, Scott?" Scott smiled and put me on his hip, holding me with one arm." Riley, we're supposed to be a team, bubby!" I giggled more," I don't like the whole alpha thing, you know, I seem to get punched a lot." Scotty laughed, walking away," I'm serious! Does he just listen to every word you say, or does he enjoy punching me? Scott! Answer me!"
——
Malia was trying to skip math again, Stiles caught her,
She said" I hate math. It's pointless."
Stiles said" It's school. School is important, and math is essential."
" To what?" Stiles sat down, and pulled me onto his lap,
" Knowing how much to tip at restaurants."
Lydia said" And other less important things like medicine, economics, engineering..."
" Tipping." The teacher called Malia's name, Stiles gave her thumbs up, she growled, I growled back, tucking my face against Stiles' neck. Stiles' phone buzzed, he grabbed it and looked at it.

Stiles said" A family-murdering axe murderer."
Scotty said" I already heard about it."
" Wait. What? You did? How?"
" My mom called me. She knew we'd see it on the news."
" Perfect. Let's go."
" Whoa, whoa. We've got econ in five minutes."
" All right. Did you forget the part about the family-murdering axe murderer?"
" Did you forget that your dad's the sheriff? They want us to stay out of it."
" Are you guys kidding me? There's a family-murdering axe murder and we're not going to do anything about it?"
Kira said" Maybe we should just let the adults handle it." Stiles made a really weird face,
" So the two of you, you just want to stay here, school, go to class. Never heard of anything so irresponsible in my life." He walked away,
Scotty said" See you at tryouts?" Stiles flailed his arms,
" Riley!"
I said" Bye!" I ran to Stiles, he lifted me into his arms,
" Bub, you're suppose to follow me when I leave."
" Okay!" I smiled, he smiled and tickled my tummy, I laughed and held his hand.
——
Scotty said" It was our first kiss since our actual first kiss."
Stiles said" That's good. You kissed her."
" I did. But I didn't."
" Was... Was it on the lips?"
" Yeah."
" Was there tongue?" I tilted my head, they're weirdos!
" No... it was like how you kiss your grandmother when you're five."
" Oh, chaste. You gave her a chaste kiss."
" Yeah, and now it's... it's all weird. It's all completely weird and I... I don't know what to do. Maybe I should text her."
" No. Just no with the texts." I covered my ears as Coach blew the whistle, then Scotty walked over to him. Stiles looked at me," Okay, bub." He crouched down," You're gonna sit on the benches with Kira and Malia, okay? Not gonna chase the ball, not gonna run out to me... got it?"
I said" Chase the ball, run out to you!"
" No... no, you're gonna sit and play with Tigger."
" Not gonna sit and play with Tigger." He dropped his head,
" Come on, let's go." We walked out of the locker room, I skipped along side him.

I saw Scotty taking Stiles off the field, I jumped off the benches and ran to them.
Scotty said" He's okay, Riley." Stiles was making a funny face," I think." I giggled," Go back and sit down, okay?"
I said" Don't let Stiles be dumb!" I kissed Stiles' nose and ran to the benches again. I started playing with Tigger, giggling as I made him fly through the air.
My eyes glowed for a second, I looked up and saw Stiles and Scotty talking to each other.

Stiles and Scotty were playing defense, they kept taking out players, I smiled, clapping my hands. Then they chest bumped and Stiles fell down, I giggled, then the one they didn't like was up, and he got past them, huh?!
Malia yelled" That was luck! Do over!"
Coach said" Sweetheart, there's no do overs. This is a practice."
" Ten bucks on Scott and Stiles."
" I'll take that action. Hey! Get back in there, Liam." I whimpered, then growled when I felt Scotty growl, I hid my face in Kira's side.
I heard Stiles say" Riley. Locker room." I jumped off the bench and walked to the locker room.

I got to the locker room,
Stiles said" We're taking him to the hospital, then we'll head home, okay? And here's a laffy taffy for being good." He handed me a big laffy taffy, I began chewing and gnawing on it instantly.
——
We got to the hospital,
Scotty said" Uh... Hi, mom." They got Liam in a wheelchair,
Melissa said" Don't worry, Liam. We'll take good care of you." She pushed him away,
Stiles said" I got to get going. I promised Malia I'd help her study."
Scotty said" Sure. I want to check on him anyway."
" Hey, I don't need to say that wasn't your fault, right?"
" I don't know."
" Scott, if you had used any wolf power that kid wouldn't be limping, he'd be crawling, back to the other half of his body."
" If I hadn't been so worried about being captain he wouldn't be hurt either."
" It's okay to want something for yourself once in a while. Team captain, alpha werewolf. You're still only human." I jumped into Scotty's arms, and nuzzled his neck, kissing his nose. Stiles took me into his arms, holding me on his hip.

I woke up a little,
I heard Stiles say" Can you get Riley out of the carseat? Just press the buckle." Someone pressed the buckle and lifted me up, I squirmed when I couldn't feel them." No, no... you have to hold him close." Then I was in Stiles' arm, I nuzzled my face against his neck." Like this."
I heard Malia say" He smells weird."
" The coyote and wolf pup thing... sorry, I forgot." I was put down on my bed," He should sleep for a little while longer, let's go." I heard them walk out of my room, I closed my eyes more and fell asleep.