Chapter 23

Daddy said" So this kid's the real killer?"
Stiles said" Yeah."
" No."
" Yes!"
" No." I crawled off the bed and went to Scott, he lifted me into his arms, I closed my eyes again.
I heard Stiles say" And that if enough of the victims were in Harris's class, that they'd arrest him."
Daddy said" All right, fine. I'll allow the remote possibility, but give me a motive. I mean, why would this kid want most of the 2006 swim team and its coach dead?"
" Isn't it obvious? Our swim team sucks! They haven't won in, like, six years. Okay, we don't have a motive yet. I mean, come on, does Harris?"
" What do you want me to do?"
Scott said" We need to look at the evidence."
" Yeah, that would be in the station, where I no longer work."
Stiles said" Trust me, they'll let you in."
" Trust you?"
" Trust-Trust Scott?"
" Scott I trust."
——
We got to the station, Stiles was holding me on his hip, I laid my head on his shoulder.
A deputy said" It's 2:00 in the morning."
Daddy said" Believe me, I wouldn't be here if it wasn't extremely important."
Stiles whispered" We look at the hospital stuff first, okay?"
Scott whispered" Why?"
" Because all the murders were committed by Jackson, except for one, you remember?"
" The pregnant girl, Jessica."
" Yeah. Since Matt had to kill her himself, somebody from the hospital could've seen him."
Daddy said" Boys." We walked in, and they got the stuff,

Daddy said" I don't know, guys. I mean, look at this. There was a six car pileup that night, the hospital was jammed."
Stiles said" All right, just keep going. Look, he had to have passed one of the cameras in that floor to get to Jessica, okay? He's gotta be on the footage somewhere."
Scott said" Oh, hold on, stop! Did you see that? Scroll back." Daddy scrolled back, we saw Matt's back,
" That's him! That's Matt!"
Daddy said" All I see is the back of someone's head."
" Matt's head, yeah. I sit behind him in history. He's got a very distinct cranium, it's weird."
" Are you crazy?"
" All right, fine, then look at his jacket, huh? How many people do you know who wear black leather jackets?"
" Millions, literally."
Scott said" Okay, can we scroll forward? There's gotta be a shot of him coming at one of the cameras." Daddy clicked a button,
Stiles said" Right there! Stop, stop! See, there he is again."
Daddy said" You mean there's the back of his head again."
" Okay, but look. He's talking to someone."
Scott said" He's talking to my mom."

I woke up, I rubbed my eyes,
Stiles said" When?"
Daddy said" A couple hours before you got there."
" All right, dad, if one's a incident, two's a coincidence, and three's a pattern, what's four?"
" Four's enough for a warrant. Scott, call your mom back, see how quick she can get here. If I can get an official ID, I can get a search warrant. Stiles, go to the front desk. Tell them to let Scott's mom in when she gets here."
" On it." Stiles ran out," Hello?" I growled as I saw Matt behind us, he had a gun, Stiles turned around and Matt looked at him.
We walked back into the room,
Daddy said" Matt? It's Matt, right? Matt, whatever's going on, I guarantee you there's a solution that doesn't involve a gun."
Matt said" You know, it's funny you say that, because I don't think you're aware of just how right you are."
" I know you don't wanna hurt people."
" Actually, I wanna hurt a lot of people. You four weren't on my list, but I could be persuaded. And one way is to try dialing somebody on your cell phone like McCall is doing. That-That could definitely get someone hurt. Everyone. Now!" Stiles put me down, I hid behind him, holding onto his shirt, They put their phones on the desk.

Stiles was locking Daddy to a bar in the cell room,
Matt said" Tighter."
Daddy said" Do what he says, Stiles." Stiles did then we moved again, Scott covered my eyes as we stopped again, I whimpered.
Scott said" What, are you gonna kill everyone in here?"
Matt said" No, that's what Jackson's for. I just think about killing them, and he does it." We started moving again, I'm scared, I want Stiles!
They deleted and got rid of all the stuff on Matt,
Stiles said" Deleted. And we're done. All right, so, Matt, since all the people you brutally murdered deserved it because they killed you first- whatever that means- I think we're good here, right? I'll just get my dad, and we'll go, you know? You continue on the whole vengeance thing. Enjoy the kanima." A car pulled up,
Matt said" Sounds like your mom's here, McCall."
Scott said" Matt, don't do this. When she comes to the door, I'll just tell her to leave. I'll tell her we didn't find anything. Please, Matt." The front door opened,
" If you don't move... now, I'm gonna kill Stiles and Riley first, and then your mom."