Chapter 15: Jeremy's Story

Chapter 15

              Jeremy was speeding down a water slick road. Red and blue lights flashed behind him. The woman is the passenger seat was panting and crying. Jeremy didn’t stop his swerving as another cop pulled up behind him. Jeremy swore to himself, he knew he shouldn’t have stopped the first time. Too late now, Jeremy thought. The woman screamed in pain as she rubbed her stomach. Jeremy flinched, “Please don’t scream.” He begged her.

“But it hurts, you asshole!” The woman complained once she calmed from screaming.

“What’s your name?” Jeremy tried to take a step into a polite conversation. It was true that Jeremy didn’t know the woman in his car. It was also true that once he was done with the lady, he would be in a lot of trouble.

“Jessica.” The woman moaned. She cried out again, in pain. Oh no, they're happening in shorter times, Jeremy panicked to himself. He didn’t want a mess in his car. The road was wet and the rain was coming down harder, making it even more dangerous at such a high speed. The road was empty, beside the cops and Jeremy, but he knew there was a stop light soon.

“Breath Jessica.”

“Why are you doing this?” Jessica cried. Jeremy didn’t answer; he didn’t have one for her. Why was he doing this? When he saw the woman convulsing on the sidewalk, he was to pull over. He would’ve wanted someone to help him too. Of course he wouldn’t, and couldn’t, be in Jessica’s situation.

“Why were you on the side of the road at midnight?” Jeremy ignored her question.

“It’s not midnight.” Jessica hissed. They both spared a look at the clock to see it was actually was around midnight. Jessica mumbled something under her breath before another stabbing pain came to her lower half. “I was at the park with my… boyfriend when the pain started. Alex refused to leave his friends so I had to walk.” Jessica flinched. 

“That’s not much of a boyfriend, Alex, baby daddy perhaps?” He started to couch harshly.

“Yeah, but when he has a house and I don’t there are some things I have to sacrifice.”  Jessica muttered. Jeremy considered the lady in his car a P.T.B.H. “Person To Be Helped” was something Jeremy’s parents always talked about. You didn't need to know someone to help them. His parents would’ve been proud of him. “26, lonely, pregnant, and can’t even feed herself. Pathetic.” Jessica downed herself, over talking Jeremy’s coughing. 

“You aren’t pathetic.” Jeremy rolled his eyes, but knew he was fighting an empty battle.

              Another cop car puled up. The sirens grew louder as they got closer.

              “Pull your car over.” One of the cops said over their speaker. 

“Crap…” Jeremy said as he saw the streetlight up ahead. He slowed slightly as he pulled up to the red light. That was not a law he was aiming to break. It would give him time to coach Jessica through her pains. The crossroad was abandoned but he didn’t move. The cops approached Jeremy’s car. They jumped out and armed their guns. 

“Step out of your vehicle.” Another intercom voice said. Jeremy rolled down his window and motioned them closer. One brave officer walked cautiously to the car. Pointing his gun in Jeremy’s window, the office spotted the very pregnant lady in the passenger seat. 

“Jessi?” The officer faltered.

 “Tom?” Jessica guessed. She started to lean over, but cringed back in pain.

“Look, it’s not time for introduction or anything but I’m Jeremy. And as you see here, Jessica is ready to pop any second. Can we please talk more at the hospital?” Jeremy didn’t wait for an answer, for the light was now green.