Chapter 8: Jurassic Park

Chapter 8

“You got a job?”

“Yup!”

“Where?”

 “A small boutique called Sunny Lane. It’s really cute!”

 “Oh, I heard of it. It’s not really my style.”

 “I’ve noticed…” Janice and Carrie were chatting in the kitchen while Jeremy was taking a shower. Carrie had been right on time as the couple walked out of the mall. Janice had gotten the job on the spot. Sidney said that she would be leaving for a trip in a week or two and wanted to find a replacement so her grandson wouldn’t have to handle the store alone. Janice knew that her grandson was going to be a pain, it’s not like Janice could do anything about it.

 “So what do you guys want to eat for dinner?” Janice only noticed Jeremy was in the room when he plopped down in the stool next to her.

 “Can you put on a shirt?” Janice asked Jeremy once she noticed his lack of clothing. He gave her a look she couldn’t figure out right away.

 “Why? It’s always hot in here.” Jeremy yawned. Janice rolled her eyes but mentally agreed with him.

 “Yeah, how is it so hot in the house but outside it’s like the Artic?” Janice questioned Carrie.

“Well, if I open a window, then there would be snow inside the house and it would be too cold. And the air conditioner is frozen.” They were silent now. They each shared their personal thoughts to themselves. Janice found herself wondering about Sidney’s grandson. He was very attractive but rude and you couldn’t forget the cockiness that basically radiated off of him. It isn’t right for Janice to judge the boy by his first impression. These Earth human feelings were confusing her better judgment. “So, what are we doing for dinner? You want to cook or order pizza?”

“Can’t you cook?”

“Well, let’s just say if we order pizza, we will live to the next day.” Carrie gave them a guilty grin. They shook their heads in amusement.

~

            Carrie had been right about the snowstorm. The two missionaries had never seen this much snow in one day. Janice stuffed herself in layers of clothes and stuffed her head into a bright red beanie. The clothes added about 10 more pounds on Janice’s shoulder, that was barely an exaggeration. As she waddled to the front door she saw Jeremy tucked snuggled in a pair of wind breaker pants and a thick sweater. She eyed him curiously. “Is that all you’re wearing?” She asked him. Once he spotted Janice, Jeremy was bent over in laughter. 

“You look like a giant ball of material!” He choked out.

 "I don’t want to get sick!” Janice cried to him.

 “It’s not even that cold, Jan!” He chuckled. She glared at him before starting to take off her clothes.

“WOAH!” He gasped as she pulled a shirt over her head. “What are you doing?” Jeremy sounded surprised.

“I’m taking off my clothes.” Janice said in a matter-o-factly voice.

“But why?”

“It’s not even that cold, Jer.” She mimicked. He snickered. Once she was in her original work uniform, a long white blouse and black pencil skirt, Janice reapplied her outerwear. This time she only put on a pair of sweats and large jacket, which had been Jeremy’s until she stole it from his closet. 

“Isn’t that mine?”

“Yeah, it’s really warm!” Janice gave him a flirty smile. He shook his head and stuffed his keys in his pocket.