Chapter 22: Finals and Firsts

Chapter 22

            Penny and Janice had a good time at the mall. They shopped off their earnings and probably spent more than they should have. Janice was having the time of her life. She deserved this time. All she’s ever known was work, work, work. Janice took this as a much needed girls’ day. Both girls said goodbye five hours later. Penny was having a late date with Matt and Janice needed to change before meeting Jay at the diner. It was supposed to be cold that evening.

            Janice drove to Carrie’s house in a very chipper mood. Upon walking into the kitchen, her happy mood dissolved when she spotted an angel waiting for her. “Hello, Peter. How are you?” Janice said automatically. 

“What are you doing, Janice? Is this relationship of yours for the mission?” He interrogated her. Janice had never seen Peter so red. She sobered up at the desperate look on his face.

“I need to do this. I need to get closer,” She found herself whispering. “And even if it was for personal reasons, I’ll finish the mission and we’ll forget about it.” 

“Janice,” Peter was shaking his head, “he will forget about it. But will you?” His question stumped her. “I don’t want to see you hurt. I want you to see you succeed and follow in your angel duties. This is your dream, right?” Janice was silent.

             It was her dream. Ever since her fist walk in heaven she wanted to be an angel, someone who could watch over and protect people. She didn’t want to be a lowly, little missionary anymore. She wanted to be needed.

“Yes, it’s my dream.” She finally answered. He gave her a swift nod and brushed past her. She followed him to the door to see him out.

 “I’ll be watching.” He told her before walking out. She shit the door behind him and stalked to her room. 

            It was for her mission. It was.  It’s the only way for her to figure out what was going on. But was it the safest?

~

            Janice pulled up to the diner five minutes late. Peter had ratted her out to Carrie and she was never going to here the end of it. Janice never pinned Carrie as the concerned mother type. Her judgment has been off lately. She gripped her coat closer to her as she jogged from the car to the diner. She had her heavy bag over her shoulder, hoping to have a little time to do her homework. The bell chimed, welcoming her in. She spotted Jay in a booth in the corner of the diner. A smile appeared on her face instantly. He looked quite adorable when he was concentrated. Books were scattered on the table.

            Janice skipped over, waving over to the oldest, and kindest waitress who worked at the diner. She tossed her bag into the seat bench across from Jay. He looked up to her and grinned easily. He pushed himself out of his bench and placed a light kiss on her lips. Janice felt the rake of tingles that spreads through her body explode. “I’ll never get over that.” He whispered to her as he pulled away.

“This?” She asked, sitting down on the bench opposite.

“You. I mean you.” Janice giggled. Her stomach did a small flip. What a charmer. “I forgot that I had homework, I hope you don’t mind.” He told her sheepishly.

“I didn’t even know Jay Trainer did homework,” She said honestly. He answered with a bland look. She held up her hands in surrender. “Okay, okay. It’s no problem. I have a stack myself.” She admitted, pulling out her papers.

            They worked in silence, helping each other when needed. Janice pretended that she was confused about some of her problems. Janice has been in high school more than four times. She was quite the ‘smarty pants’. “Why do they give this much homework on the last week of school?” She said grumpily as she wrote out an essay.