Chapter 20: To Be Conscience Or Not To Be

Chapter 20

            Jay lived in an apartment. It was a cute little thing with matching brown furniture. Janice stepped into the small living space and followed Jay in. She let her eyes wander around to the pictures that lined themselves on a little coffee table. “You can go sit or something. I need to get Nico out.” Without another word, he turned and walked into the hallway. Janice made her way to the brown couch and plopped down. She plucked up a picture from the table in front of her. 

            A younger version of Jay stood smilingly on a park bench. He had a pink bundle wrapped in his arms that revealed a tiny pale head of a baby. His eyes showed pure joy. His hair was a little shorter but it was obviously Jay. Janice smiled at the picture. She wondered who the baby was.

She placed the picture down and picked up the next one. It was a picture of Jay, as a preteen, with a little girl. The girl was strikingly adorable with the same dark features as Jay. Could this be Jay’s sister? Janice wondered.

            Suddenly, the picture was pushed out of her hands and onto the plush beside her. Before Janice had a time to react, a brown puff of fur landed itself on her lap and dug it’s claws into her arm. She felt a long tongue run up her face. She giggled at how it tickled her. She rubbed the tiny puppy’s head as it continued to lick her. 

“Nico! Get down!” Jay cried out, flabbergasted. He ran over and tried to pry off the puppy. 

“It’s fine, Jay.” Janice laughed again as Nico licked her face again. She settled the puppy down into her lap. The tiny terrier whined for more pets. The two older beings laughed at him.

“I’ll go make the popcorn and get my script.” Janice continued to play with the small dog while her favorite snack popped in the microwave. She searched her bag for her own copy of the script and pulled out the neat papers. Jay retuned with his script and a large bowl of buttery goodness. Janice accepted the bowl happily and shooed the dog off her lap. He whined but laid himself at her feet. Jay sat on the other side of the couch. They both folded one leg under themselves and turned to face the other.

“Where do you want to start?” Janice asked.

“How about the beginning. I think I’ll play all of the male parts and you can do the female. Just to get a range.” Jay said as he ruffled his hair. Janice nodded and skipped through her book.

”What to I owe of you a favor, Wolf?”

“That is of nothing. I would just ask of your plans for today, Little Red.”

“But only to visit Grandmother. She is ill. I have these tasty pastries and cheetohs for her. Sierra Mist to only do her good.”

“My, that is quite a layout, Little Red. Nothing more delicious than a lovely can of soda and television?”

            The pair had been rehearsing for a while. Jay pulled away from the reading. Janice noticed his hesitation. “Is there something wrong?” She asked him. 

“Doesn’t it seem a little cheesy to you? What kind of humor is this? Pastries and cheetohs?” He complained. 

“To be honest, I’ve read the end and Little Red ends up ‘hooking up’ with the lumberjack that is supposed to help her."

“Well, even thought I was kinda hoping someone would get eaten, I wouldn’t mind that ending.” Janice didn’t understand the mortality of Earth Human preferences.

“Do you know who you want to try out for yet?” Janice asked Jay. He threw his hands behind his hand and played with the ends of his hair. Janice felt herself want to blush at just watching his hands do what she dreamed to.