Chapter 7: The Dress and Other Distracting Things

Chapter 7

           It was only half way through the movie and Janice felt like she would faint. Jeremy had his arm around her shoulder and his hand in the popcorn bag on Janice’s lap. He watched the movie silently while he stuffed his mouth with popcorn. Did this bag not have an end? He’s been shoveling the popped kernels in his black hole for the past 40 minutes. Suddenly, Janice felt Jeremy’s breath on the side of her neck. Janice felt her face start to heat up. “There’s no more popcorn.” He whispered in her hair. She rolled her eyes, even though she didn’t know if he could see her.

“If you stop shoving it in your mouth then maybe you might have more.” She whispered back. Janice saw Jeremy move his face, maybe into a smile? He pressed his lips to her cheek and pulled her closer to his chair. She blushed darker and put her face into his neck. Janice watched as the two main characters argued over something, their faces were etched with anger and irritation. The woman started to cry while Channing stood there watching her.

Janice wondered if things like that actually happened in an Earth human’s life. Was there arguing like that? Or was their provocative language? Would any of the boys ‘try anything’ on her? Janice knew she had a decent figure and from the teen magazines she read that her long thick dark hair was ‘to die for’. Not that Janice would want that. Janice felt Jeremy lean his head on hers. Now Janice felt like she was in heaven, bad pun.

“You should stop mumbling. You sound crazy.” Jeremy told Janice in her ear. She nodded quickly. Did she say that out loud? Did Jeremy understand her? Janice didn’t watch the movie much because her brain was still racing about the ifs, ands, or buts.

            After the movie the group shivered out of the theatre. “Is anyone else freezing?” Penny complained. The two boys nodded.

“I’m pretty warm.” Janice shrugged.

 “Only because you made Jeremy into an igloo!” Matt pointed out. Janice stuck her tongue out at him and hugged Jeremy. He didn’t hesitate to wrap his arm around her.

“Me next!’ Penny cried before tackling the two in a hug. Jeremy also wrapped his arm around Penny. A group of pre-teens walked past the strange group. A young boy gave Jeremy a wolf whistle. Penny and Janice giggled.

“Oh, you guys.” Matt said bashfully before making a sandwich with his body. The two girls gasped for air and the two taller boys squeezed together.

 “Okay! We’re warm! We’re warm!” Penny yelled out with her limited air supply. The boys chuckled before letting the girls go. Janice pushed herself away while Penny collapsed on the ground. The group of pre-teens made their escape when Penny started to yell at Matt. They were making a scene. 

“Kids these days.” A middle-aged man grumbled as he walked past them.

“At least someone has kids, Mr. Kim!” Penny shouted after the man. Mr. Kim shot a glare at her over his shoulder, which she returned with a cheeky grin. “That’s my Psychology teacher.” Penny explained. “So you guys going to Pineridge?”

“Yup! Start Monday.” Janice said.

“Well, there might be a snowstorm that day, maybe Tuesday.” Matt thought. “We’ll se you guys then!” Matt waved as he led Penny to the exit.

“Nice meeting you!” She yelled.

“Bye!” Janice called back as the two missionaries waved. 

“We have about an hour left. What do you wanna do?” Jeremy asked after Matt and Penny disappeared into the cold. Janice replied with a shrug.

 “There’s only so much you can do in a mall.” Janice commented.

            They walked hand in hand through the mall. Janice spotted a cute little clothing store and pulled Jeremy in with her. “Jan, I’m tired of shopping.” He complained.