Chapter 3: Cheers

Chapter 3

            “Why didn’t you just like make up an excuse?” Isabelle questioned Janice once they were alone in her room. Isabelle’s room was similar to Janice’s except the bed was on the opposite side of the room. The two girls sat on her bed.

“I don’t know! I just kind of… freaked out?” Janice said, unsure if she used the right words.

“Well, there’s nothing you can do now! Did you see that big grin on his face? You can’t just like crush him!” Isabelle accused Janice. Isabelle had known of Janice’s little crush before she had known herself. “So what is this final mission about?”

“I don’t really know. But I’m kinda glad that Jeremy is going with me.” Isabelle looked at Janice with confusion. “I’m going back to my hometown. Where my dad is.” Janice whispered.

“Oh, honey!” Isabelle reached forward and wrapped her arms around Janice. She took her friend’s arms warmly. They stayed there for a minutes before Janice pulled away.

“I’m okay. I just don’t want to see him. It’s not like he could recognize me! It’s been like 17 years.” Janice waved her hand to show that it wasn’t anything.

“Do you think they actually set this up? For you to go back to your hometown, I mean?”

“I wouldn’t be surprised…” There was a knock at the door before Janice could continue.

“Hello there, Beautifuls!” Jeremy complemented as he stepped through Isabelle’s door. Janice felt her heart thump against her chest. She gave him a cheeky grin. “And what are we talking about this lovely day?” Jeremy said in a posh voice.

“You.” Janice said. Did I just say that? Janice thought to herself.

“Aw, don’t hurt my ego!” Jeremy placed his hand on his heart. Then he flopped onto the bed between Isabelle and Janice. They both looked at him with irritated looks, which he returned with a smile.

“We were talking about her final mission.” Isabelle said after she cleared her throat.

“Oh! I need to hear about this, don’t I?” Jeremy looked up at Janice was assurance. She nodded and shot a quick look at Isabelle.

“Yeah, I guess you do.” Janice slapped the paper with the information onto Jeremy’s chest. He grunted but didn’t say anything else. “This is the town where I died.” Janice said with a monotone voice. Jeremy stared up at Janice with a look in his eyes that Janice recognized as guilt.

“I’m sorry, Janice.” He told her. She shrugged.

“There’s nothing that I can do, right? I have to accept the fact that I’m not going to live on Earth anymore. Just promise me something?” She looked at Isabelle and then at Jeremy.

“What’s that?” Jeremy questioned.

“Protect me from my father.” She whispered. Jeremy nodded quickly and hugged Janice. She was shocked at the sudden sign of affection but accepted it gratefully. Isabelle winked at her over Jeremy’s shoulder. Janice shot her a glare before she pulled away from him.

“Of course! Now who is this Carrie person?”

“I’ve never heard of her.”

“Me neither!” Isabelle piped up.

“Maybe, she’s new?” Janice said to herself.

“Where are we meeting her?” Jeremy asked.

“Uh, Peter will tell us these things before we leave.”

“Do we need to take anything?”

“Just ourselves. This Carrie person will get us settled in.” Janice answered.

“How long do you think you’ll be gone?” Isabelle asked quietly.

“I don’t know Izzy. It might take weeks or months. Peter told me is took him 2 years.” Janice remembered how sad Peter was. She wondered what his love was doing at this second.

“How do you know about Peter’s mission?” Jeremy inferred.

“Uh…” Janice raced for an excuse to say. “He told me when I asked him how long it took him. Nothing more. It’s not like he gave me his life story.” She said the truth, well the beginning of it.

“Oh, I guess that makes sense.” Isabelle waved it off easily, which caused Janice to internally sigh.

“Lunch is ready!” Mickey, another missionary who was next door to Isabelle, told them after knocking.

“Thanks, Mickey!” Jeremy called after her. The three of them made their way to the dining room, which was already filled with the other missionaries. There was a total of 20 missionaries in their dorm, 21 including Marianne, half were boys and the other half were girls. The youngest was Trenton, who was still 13 and in his Earth human years, and the oldest was Red at 31, in Earth human years about 60. Janice loved her home; everyone was so nice to her. Janice grabbed a plate of chicken and mashed potatoes and sat at the large dining room table that all the missionaries sat on for their meals.

“Can I make an announcement?” Marianne asked the missionaries as they sat down with their lunches. “I wanted everyone to know that Janice here is going on her last mission.” There was a bunch of gasps and clapping. Janice shook her head and mouthed a thank you to the table. “Let’s make a toast.” Marianne held up her glass, of what looked like wine to Janice, and everyone else followed. Janice smiled at the group of people that she had come to love. She made eye contact with Jeremy across the table. He gave her smile and wink. “Cheers.”

“Cheers!” The missionaries cried at the same time.

            Janice smiled to herself and laughed along with the table. She never wanted to leave this place. Ever.

(>^_^)>

A/N: Thanks for reading another chapter! I'm planning on updating every Wednesday! The only thing that is holding me back is the fact that sometimes my summer school ends at 11:45 and sometimes 2:30. There is a lot of homework... BUSY!