Chapter 17: Destiny Settles

Chapter 17

              “That’s adorable! Where did you get this?” Penny asked from Janice’s bed.  Janice blushed. The rest of the week passed by in a flash and soon it was Friday, the night of the Winter Casual. School had just ended and Penny came over to Janice’s donated house to get ready. 

“It was a Christmas present. It’s actually from Sunny Lane.” Janice told her. She was just rounding around the truth. She didn’t exactly lie.

“Man, I need to go look around the shop!” Penny laughed as she pulled her dress around her body. Penny was wearing an adorable, casual, ivory dress that had multi-colored spots on it. There was a tiny bow at the neckline. Janice told her it was a perfect reflection of her personality, unexpected. “I remember the first day you met me. O.M.G., I thought you didn’t like me!” Janice giggled.

“I’ve always liked you!” Janice defended.

 “Sure you did. Just sit your butt down so I can do your hair!” Penny pushed Janice down on her bed and pulled her hair through a brush. Penny’s hair was a twirled into a pretty half up-half down style. Janice sat quietly as Penny pulled her fingers through her hair. 

              How was she going to pay Jay back for her gift?

~

              “Welcome, Seniors, to your Winter Casual!” The Vice Principal’s voice bounced through the gym. It seemed like the whole senior class actually showed up to the casual, which surprised Penny. Janice assumed that most of the kids skipped the other dances, but since it was their senior year they came tonight. This year the casual wasn’t going to be a sleepover like Penny said it was last year. Instead, the school decided it was going to be a two day adventure, where the students have their dance on one night and the next day would be an activity day. Janice was beyond excited.

               Since Matt, Penny, Janice, and Jeremy all car-pooled they agreed to leave at ten and no later. The group split as soon as they entered the gym. “I hope you are enjoying your night so far.” There were a bunch of “whooping” sounds from the crowd. “I’m here to remind you, youngsters, are under age for drinking and the ruler rule-“ Before the VP could continue the DJ turned the music back on and the teens all screamed and headed towards the dance floor. Janice never understood how teenagers these days could be so rude. She also wondered what the ‘Ruler Rule” was. 

              The DJ was mixing an upbeat song with older classics and Janice’s body relaxed. Her and Jeremy made their way towards the tables set on the outside of the dance floor. The theme this year was “Meet Me In Wonderland” which Janice was told it was a classic Disney movie or something. Janice never watched human television. It seemed useless and completely pointless in that matter. There were a lot of decorations and colors, which Janice wondered hoe much money the school actually paid for all of this. Janice and Jeremy sat down next to each other and watched as their classmates weaved together. 

“So how are you liking it here?” Jeremy suddenly asked. Janice could barely hear him over the sound of the music and talking.

“It’s very nice here. The people are nice. But nothing is ever permanent.” Janice told Jeremy, but it seemed like she was telling herself more than Jeremy.

“Do you think we could run into your father?” Janice was surprised. She had totally forgotten about her father being here, or was he?

 “To be honest, I forgot about my father. I’ve just been so caught up with Penny and school and everything else…” Janice trailed off. She wasn’t concentrating enough on her main mission.