Chapter 6: Seeing Channing

Carrie woke them up the next morning. Janice changed into a smooth blue dress that went past her knees and a sweater. When she walked out of the bathroom, Jeremy was just putting on his shirt. She couldn’t help but pout to herself as she dragged a brush through her hair. Carrie called to them from downstairs and the two missionaries finished fixing themselves before jumping into the awaiting car. “So you’re supposed to go to school on Monday but the News said there might be a small snow storm. So that might be cancelled.” Carrie informed them as they turned into the parking lot.

            The church was beautiful inside and out. The high ceiling and colorful mosaics caught Janice’s eyes as soon as she stepped in. Each stained glass mural depicted one of the Stations. Janice signed herself with the holy water before looking for a spot. Each row of benches looked comfy and worn out. Carrie led them to a seat in the middle row. Janice and Jeremy bent on one knee with their heads lowered in respect. They rose quietly and filed into bench with Carrie following them. Jeremy smiled at the older lady as he sat next to her and pulled Janice next to him. He put her hand on his thigh and intertwined their fingers from the back of her palm. Janice blushed and waited for mass to start.

            Janice noticed that Carrie stood out like a black sheep, literally. Everyone around them was in nice, bright attire and presentable hairstyles. Carrie, on the other hand, was wearing a dark blue, almost black, knee length dress with dark fish net stockings. Yet, she strutted in without a care. Janice had major respect for her at that moment.

            The small group of young men and women started to sing. Everyone stood and watched as the pastor walked down the center aisle. The two missionaries bowed their heads quickly when the pastor passed them. “Welcome!” The pastor’s voice boomed through his headset.

“And also to you.” Everyone replied.

“If we have any new comers, we welcome you to stand and tell us where you come from.” Jeremy stood up before Janice could, dragging her up along with him. Besides the two missionaries another young couple stood from the back row. “Where you two from?” The pastor asked the other couple. They explained to the pastor and their audience that they were visiting from New York. Everyone clapped for them before the couple sat. “And you?” When the pastor asked Jeremy and Janice, she noticed his eyes light up.

“Wisconsin.” Jeremy told him. Under the circumstances of being in a secret mission, the missionaries would be allowed to lie but only when needed.

“Your names?”

“Jeremy.”

“Janice.” Her voice sounded so quiet in the large church. She blushed when the pastor asked her to repeat herself. “Janice.” She said louder. He nodded and smiled at her.

“Welcome!” The pastor held out his hands in queue for everyone to start clapping. On command their audience welcomed them and the mass started.

            Janice noticed that every time the pastor looked their way he would smile hugely.  Mass ended and people wandered to their friends and cars. The three sat quietly, not wanting to move. “But I’m not ready to walk.” Jeremy whined. Janice gave him a pointed look before standing.

 “I’m with the boy.” Carrie complained.

“Such children.” Janice chided. “When I come back from the restroom, you two better be ready to leave.” They nodded obediently before laying their heads back. Janice shook hers before turning, looking for the women’s room. “Excuse me?” She asked a retreating back when she rounded a corner. The man turned around and she met a familiar pair of ocean blue eyes.