Chapter 18: Smoking

Chapter 18

            Janice’s lips tingled as she slowly ran her fingers over them. Her breath was rugged from her previous action. Jay… Why did he leave her? Why did he run? Janice’s knees wobbled as she pushed through the garden and back to the gym. Her min swarmed with Jay’s face and she didn’t really mind. What she did mind was that he ran away form her. She wasn’t the boy expert, but if a boy runs away after the kiss you can assume the worst.

            Once she entered the gym Jeremy ran up to her. “Are you okay? You ran away before I could say anything! I looked everywhere for you!” He bombarded her with questions. Obviously not everywhere if you didn’t catch me snogging with Jay… These humans are making her sassier. “Janice?” She snapped back to reality and looked back into Jeremy’s eyes.

“Yes?” She blinked at him in confusion. He let out a loud grumble.

“Did you hear anything I just said?” He snapped. She shrugged and went to sit down in their seats.

“I don’t want to talk about it.” 

It?” He followed after her. “What is ‘it’?”

“Nothing, Jeremy! Just leave it!” She snapped back. She plopped down in her chair and scanned the room for Jay. She saw the principal walk up to a couple dancing weirdly with their bodies rubbing against each other and slipped a wooden ruler between the two. Janice cracked a smile at their exasperated looks. Haha, Ruler rule...

“Heyyyyyy guyyyysssssss…” Penny sang as she skipped over to the fuming couple. Matt trailed her like an eager puppy. “It’s ten o’clock on the dot!” She giggled as Matt wrapped his arm around her waist. Janice felt a lonely pang in her heart. “Ready to go?” She asked. Both Janice and Jeremy nodded before trudging out of the gym before the two lovebirds. 

            Janice squeezed into the passenger seat of Penny’s car so she wouldn’t have to sit next to Jeremy. Penny shot her a look as she slid into the driver’s seat. Janice wouldn’t meet her eyes and gazed into the parking lot. Before they peeled onto the road, Janice saw a familiar shadow in his car.

            He was smoking.

 ~

             “So what happened with you and Jeremy?” Penny asked as she sat on the bed next to Janice. Her and Penny were to share Penny’s room while Matt and Jeremy slept downstairs. It gave them time to bond, something that shouldn’t have been happening.

“It’s just a little fight. Nothing major.” Janice told her a light laugh.

 “Is everything okay between you two?”

“To be honest, I don’t think anything was between us to go wrong.” Janice spoke truthfully.

“Really now? I thought you two were in love or something?” Penny said suspiciously.

“Well, something happened tonight…” Janice blushed at the thought of her and Jay kissing. 

“Please tell!” Penny practically begged.

“Please don’t make fun of me…” Janice warned her before launching into her Jay adventure. Penny held a straight face throughout the story. Janice waited for Penny to react. 

“So,” Penny said with a pause. “Is Jay a good kisser?” She broke into a smile. Janice blushed again.

 “Is that all you got from my story?” Janice asked.

“Just answer the question, Janice.” Janice looked eyes with Penny.

“The best.” They giggled and continue to talk about the night. Tomorrow was going to be an exciting day. Janice couldn’t wait to see Jay.

~

            “What do you mean Jay isn’t here?” Janice asked Penny.

“Exactly what I said! Jay. Isn’t. Here.” She spaced out her words as if she was talking to a preschooler.

“How do you know?” Janice questioned as she fixed her jean shorts.

            Today was the second day of the social, sports day. This idea seemed weird to Janice. It is winter and they want to have sports? Don’t you play sports outside? Janice has never been more confused with Earth humans before this. They must be playing games in the gym!

“It’s the third Saturday of the month. No one sees him on the first or third Saturday of the month. He’s always at the chil-“ Penny cut herself off. Janice was at the edge of her metaphorical seat. 

“At where?” She begged. Penny just shook her head.

“I shouldn’t be the one to tell you…” Penny smiled sadly before looping her arm through Janice’s and led them towards the sign-in booth. 

~

            Sports day was a bust. Since the snow was still falling they all squished into the over-heated gym. Janice enjoyed it sure, but all she wanted to do was see Jay. She couldn’t get him out of her head. Questions swarmed her all day and she couldn’t wait to get to work. She pulled her coat around her and jogged towards the mall entrance. She stopped to buy a hot chocolate for herself and a caramel mocha for Sidney.

             “Afternoon, Sidney!” She smiled once she saw the adorable little lady.

“Hello, dearie. Thank you.” Sidney said as she was handed her coffee. They took a sip before setting to work. Janice went into the back to put her bags in the employee place. “So it’s just going to be you and me today!” Sidney smiled at her when she appeared in the main shop.

 “Oh. Where’s Jay?” Janice tried to keep the eagerness out of her voice. If anyone would tell her what was happening, it was Sidney.

“He’s with his family.” Sidney said without going into detail.

“That sounds… fun?” Janice was hesitant.

“Anything can be fun with Jay around. He likes to make the best of everything, you know.” Sidney winked before going into the backroom.

            Janice thought as she unpacked a new shipment of clothes.