Chapter 16: Mementos

Chapter 16

            “So are you and Jeremy going to the Winter Casual?” Sarah questioned Janice as they walked from their Drama class to their usual spot for their free. It’s been a week since the kiss behind the tree and Janice nor Jeremy brought it up.

“Winter Casual?” Janice questioned. It was the first time she heard about it. Was it some kind of dance or something?

“Yeah, it’s like a social sort of, like a dance! It’s nothing too fancy, that’s not ‘til Prom.” Sarah explained. “Every year around Christmas the school opens the gym and we are allowed a winter dance. But we really don’t want to make too much of a fuss over it, so it’s just a casual kind of bonding thing. Last year it was sort of a dance then sleep over. I hope they do that again this year!” Sarah rambled as they walked over to the benches.

            It was quite murky and dark outside, extremely cold, but nothing close to snow. The usual group sat in a close huddle and bickered over a topic that probably wouldn’t interest Janice. The two girls walked over to the group and put their bags down. Jeremy’s hand automatically reached out for Janice and gripped her waist to pull her down on his lap. She felt herself relax on his lap and wrapped his arms around her. It was absolutely freezing by then.

“Why don’t you ever sit inside?” Janice chided.

“Embrace it, girl. We’re used to it now.” Their friend and Janice’s fellow Shakespeare friend, Chase, told her. “Was it not this cold in wherever you were from?”

“It never felt like this…” Janice quickly covered up her mistake.  Chase shrugged it off.

“So are you going to ask Janice to Winter Casual?” Sarah quickly slid in. Janice gave her a pointed look, which Sarah blew off.

“No…” Jeremy drawled. Janice felt a sting in her heart. He wasn’t going to ask her? Janice tried to shake the feeling of sadness out of her, but she didn’t seem to have much.

“That’s rude!” Dana snuffed. Janice agreed with her. For some reason, Janice wanted to feel sad, but she just felt offended, but she didn’t. Why don’t I feel sad? I do like him right? I mean we didn’t have to go together. But it would’ve been nice. 

“It’s not like that! I just thought since we’re dating I wouldn’t have to ask her.” Jeremy smiled and gave Janice a squeeze. The group chorused an ‘awww’.  Janice forced a confused smile and sat silently. She looked around the group and made eye contact with Jay.

             He stared back at her. Janice felt her breath hitch in her throat as she marveled at his bright emerald eyes. Janice felt Jeremy shake her a little. She broke eye contact with Jay to look at Jeremy. “The bell rang.” He had his lips pursed. She nodded and stood up. Janice left confused.

~

            “What are you going to wear to the Casual?" 

“Are you matching?”

“How are you going to get there?”

“Oh I hope it has a cool theme!”

            Janice sat at the counter of Sunny Lane with Penny, Dana, Sarah, Aubrey, and Kate (two other girls in Janice’s Shakespeare class). While the five girls either sat in front of her or wandered through the store, Janice continuously raked her fingers through her hair. There were never this many people at the store at once and Janice could hear the great acoustics on the bare walls. Penny sat crossed-legged on the ground and leaned against the counter with a magazine in her lap. The girls chatted loudly and examined the clothes.