Sixty-Three

I keep my head down as I wash the dishes, trying not to smile.

"I uh...I talked to Patty today." Bill hand dries a cup. "Oh...really? What did s-she say?" "To tell you and Georgie hi." He nods sitting the cup down, pushing his fingers through his hair.

"She told you e-everything right?" "Yeah." I sigh. "It w-was mostly how good o-of a friend you w-were...and the other losers y-you know?" I glance up at him, his green eyes meeting my brown ones.

"Yeah..." he walks away as the house sits silent, everyone has left except us two.

His wallet sits on the counter.

Does he still have the picture?

He stares at the tv, not paying attention to his surroundings.

Opening it gently, sits a picture behind a little plastic screen. The picture of us two. I gasp a little too loudly.

His head turns quickly in my direction, once seeing my eyes he looks back at the tv.

"Are you okay?" He whispers. "Yeah. Just got my hand against the edge of the counter." He nods wiping his face with his hands. Slowly laying down across the couch.

I stare at the picture which feels like forever, it's only been five minutes when I realize he fell asleep. I lay his wallet on the coffee table, throwing a light blanket over him. Pulling his shoes off.

I stare at him for a second, I find myself close to his face. Pushing his blond hair away I kiss his cheek gently. Raising his legs up. Letting them back down on my lap.

I grip his ankle slightly. I find myself smiling at being this close to the boy.

My boy. I remember.

My blond boy.