Forty-One

We all fell asleep watching the movie. The smell of popcorn filling the room.

"Stanley? Wake up. This was on your door." Richie hands me a note, I'm guessing once they got up they laid me down. I face towards the back of the couch. A blanket gently laid over me.

"Thanks?" My heart skips a beat as I read the front of it.

To Stanley. From Bill :) (I'm sorry...)

Richie walks away, joining Eddie in the kitchen. My heart wants to read the note but my mind starts to overthink.

I open it.

By the time you open this, I won't be in Derry anymore. (That sounds dumb I know)
I wasn't sure how to tell you guys but I'm moving. Pretty far away too.New York. It sounds fun. Not without you guys.

I'm sorry for not telling you beforehand. I wasn't sure how. Georgie has been in New York for a day to two. I feel horrible for not saying anything. Hopefully, you'll forgive me? If not. I understand.

-Bill

The letter has smudged ink. Not old but new. My tears soak it.

"Stanley?" My hands tremble as I hand Richie the letter. "Fucking hell." He pulls me up, hugging me tightly as I cry into his shoulder. They turn into loud sobs instead.

My legs become weak, Richie uses his strength to keep me up and standing. Eddie picks up the letter. "What the fuck?!" He grabs onto me. "I'm sorry...really really sorry." He whispers in my ear as Richie puts a hand through his hair.

"Could you get Ben and Mike over here?" I can faintly hear the other line. "Why what's wrong? Is Stanley okay?" "Mentally and emotionally no. Physically yes." "We're on the way." "Okay. Hurry, please. I'm not sure how to help him."

A couple of minutes later the other three run through the door, Beverly's face softens as she sees me. Still crying but wrapped up in a blanket. She hugs me tightly as ben hands her the note.

"That fucker." "You didn't tell him did you?" "No...that wouldn't have stopped him either." I lean into Richies side. His hugs are the best.