Kili -18-

Oh, how you loved the Summer rain! The soft sound it made on the grass just outside your home in Hobbiton, the puddles left after the storm for the little hobbits to play in, the cool mist that settled on the Shire like the clouds visiting the ear...

Oh, how you loved the Summer rain! The soft sound it made on the grass just outside your home in Hobbiton, the puddles left after the storm for the little hobbits to play in, the cool mist that settled on the Shire like the clouds visiting the earth- it was all so lovely to you. When it started to rain this morning, you were excited, but the novelty quickly wore off as you realized you wouldn't be curled up in your favorite armchair with a mug of cocoa and a good book, no, today was a day of travel across rocky, open terrain with a group of dwarves who wouldn't stop grumbling because of the weather.

As the day wore on, you grew just as miserable as your companions and by the time night fell and Thorin finally allowed you to take shelter in a cave just off the beaten path, you were blinking sleep away from your vision. Not much bothering to change out of your wet clothes, you just dropped your cloak by the door and curled up in the corner of the cave, stifling a yawn. Kili, by the mouth of the cave, just as drenched as everyone else, seemed to be searching for something.

"Has anyone seen my-"

"Dagger?" You slipped the blade out of your pocket and held it up to him, the yawn you'd been trying to ignore escaping your lips. "You dropped it on the path back by the briar bushes."

He crossed the cave and took it from you with a quiet thanks, and you sighed as you saw he was just as weary as you were.

This would be a long night.