Legolas -8-

The world was not kind to you

The world was not kind to you. A witch, a devil-woman, most called you. Whispers along the streets were common as you trailed behind your teacher. Becoming Gandalf's apprentice meant forsaking everything you had ever known: your family, your home, your friends, any sense of normality you'd ever had. So far, the sacrifice wasn't worth it. You missed your mother and father, your siblings, your friends. Nearly a century passed and you still waited as patiently as you could to find your true purpose in your long elven life. Only one grand adventure had crossed your path so far, and yet you had only a small part in it. You were aching for a chance to prove your merit, to put all those years of training to good use, and finally now you got your chance.

A meeting was arranged in Imladris to decide the fate of Middle Earth. It was quite the spectacle, full of argumentation, but soon it was arranged that you would accompany nine others on a grand journey to destroy the One Ring. Months had passed since then and you no longer felt like an outcast. You had been leading the Fellowship since your mentor was lost a week ago in the Mines of Moria, though you expected he would return when the time was right. That hope did not keep you from breaking down in silent tears one night at the edge of the fire, raising the hood of your cape in a poor attempt to hide your sorrow. In just moments, Legolas was crouching by your side, gently lowering your hood so he could see your face. His eyes watered with tears as well and you could sense he shared your sorrow for Gandalf's apparent death.

"How can I continue to lead now that he is gone? I am hardly worthy."

"We have trusted you this far and you have not led us astray. You are more than worthy, Y/N. I trust you with my life."

You smiled through your tears. Perhaps he did not know how much his words meant to you, but you knew you would always treasure them until the end of your time.