Kili -14-

The remains of Esgaroth blazed on the waters of the Long Lake

The remains of Esgaroth blazed on the waters of the Long Lake. Death was all around, bodies floating in the water, laying on the shores, burning in the town and fueling the flames. Screams were all you could hear, cries of those looking for their loved ones, howls of the badly wounded, wails of those finding the corpses of their brother, their daughter, their mother. You sank to your knees in anguish, overwhelmed by all that the dragon had done. You had heard tales of its vicious fury, but never did you imagine you would feel the terror it brought as you fled among its flames. A hand laid on your shoulder made you raise your head, looking beside you to see Percy, a man of good heart, looking solemnly upon the carnage. You sighed and he helped you to stand, but you wobbled on your feet once you saw four dwarves at the edge of the shore, pushing a boat onto the water. They were the ones who had brought this devastation.

They were the ones you could blame for all the pain.

You stumbled toward them, waving your fist in anger and opening your mouth to shout at them, to lay all the blame on their shoulders, but no words would come out. You stopped where you stood and stared down the last dwarf to remain on the shore. He met your gaze with steely sorrow and you could tell in that instant that he was sorry, so sorry, for everything that had happened here. You realized that he too must have lived through the flames, as you had, and the notion tugged at your heartstrings. All they had come to do was take back their home. Of course there would be consequences. Of course someone would have to suffer the dragon's wrath.

You felt your anger fade and you bent your head at the dwarf in apology. He nodded back before climbing in the boat, the wordless exchange leaving you still sorrowful but as if a weight had been lifted from your shoulders. Without the need to blame, you could get straight to helping the rest of the survivors, your fellow townsfolk- and so that's exactly what you did.