C~16: Horror Story That Never Ends

I stuff my hands in my pockets trying to get warmer as I walk with Bella and Jacob over to the fire.

Billy sits at the natural head of the circle. Quil's ancient grandfather sits on one side of him, and Sue on the other. The three council leaders.

The whole pack is there; Paul, Quil, Embry, Jared, and Sam, with Emily at his side. Leah sullenly stares into the fire. 

"You sure this is okay? I really hate being a party crasher." says Bella. I nod to the side "Technically, a Council Meeting crasher." I say. Jacob nods "See. The Council leaders, Dad, Quil's grandpa, and Sue Clearwater. She took over for Harry when he died."

"Okay, I should not be here." states Bella stoping. I take her hand "I'm new to this too, they just want us to hear the histories. We're part of this . I mean, it's the first time Seth, Leah and Quil are hearing them, too." 

And as if on cue Seth jogs up "Jake! E!"

Seth trots up like a puppy. He's idolized Jacob. I guess he was a role model after Harry died, he grins "Hey. It's about time, you got here. Paul's been hoovering the grub. But, I saved you some burgers."

I put a hand on his shoulder "Good looking out. Bella, this is Seth Clearwater, Leah's brother. Newest member of the pack."

"Newest, bestest, brightest."

"And slowest." says Jacob as he grabs Seth in a headlock and nuggies him. Seth laughs, absolutely loving it. A whistle comes from the circle. It's Sam. Seth takes my other hand "Come on. Your dad's about to start."

I smile "Okay." I say as the four of us take our seats. Jacob and I sit on either side of Bella and Leah sits on the other side of me. She gives me a small smile with a hi attached to it. We all look to Billy as he begins "The Quileutes have been a small tribe from the beginning...We were great spirit warriors... Shape shifters, that transform into the powerful wolf. This enabled us to scare off our enemies, and protect our tribe."

I try to absorb the story, its images alive in my mind. 

"One day our warriors came across a creature...It looked like a man, but it was hard like stone, and cold as ice...Our warriors' sharp teeth, finally tore it apart... But only fire would completely destroy it. They lived in fear, the Cold Man was not alone. And they were right."

I remember when I found the Cold Ones in that book I read about them while sitting across from Jasper "She took her vengeance out on the village. Our elder chief, Taha Aki, was the only spirit warrior left to save the tribe, after his son was killed. Taha Aki's Third Wife could sees that he would lose...The Third Wife was no magical being, no special powers, but one... Courage."

The way Billy spoke held power, the way he spoke being brave, I could never be that. I've stared Vampires and Werewolves in the eyes but they didn't have intentions of hurting me. I was terrified of Victoria that was no lie.

"The Third Wife's sacrifice distracted the Cold Woman, long enough for Taha Aki to destroy her. She saved the tribe. Over time, our enemies have disappeared. But one remains... The Cold Ones."

Billy had always hated vampires, he never liked the idea of me being friends with one. Billy peers at me right in the eyes as he finishes "Our magic awakens when they near. And we sense it now, we feel the threat in our blood. Something terrible is coming. And we must all be ready. All of us."

Why dose he stare at me when saying that, I can't do anything. I'm part of a pack but I'm not a wolf, have people who treat me like family but I'm not a vampire. Atleast Bella wants to be a vampire, the Volturi expect me to be one.