C~67: The Criminal And The Ball

"We're really here."

"After hours of walking this is the town," states Whitman putting his phone away, the town looked very rustic, and thankfully it was a clear sunny day, so the chances of running into immortal are very slim.

Over the tops of houses though they could see spirals and grand windows, "That's it, that's the place." remarks Major, Skye's eyes widen. "Your moms in there! That place is giant!"

"Why pick a place so public?" asks Seth. Major shrugs, "Towns pretty isolated, plus it's Halloween they can walk around acting like it's a costume."

"How do you know?" ask Skye, as they turn the corner onto the main street it's covered in decore and booths leading all the way to the main square in front of the palace thing. Honestly, the four forgot entirely about the spooky holiday then again convenient timing.

"Hey, let's check-in at the motel," suggest Skye. Whitman smiles, "Skye, we don't have any money."

Major looks to Skye and she gulps "I do...my treat." she finishes giving Major a look, Whitman of course, was a little thrown off by this but plays it off. Walking into the motel, the woman the desk gives them a room with four beds, "And happy Halloween, I hope you enjoy the ball."

The four freeze looking back at her, "Ball? What ball?" asks Seth, the woman looks at them surprised "I'm sorry I assumed you all were here for the ball at Castle Miezul nopţii, about two years and a half ago someone bought the castle and ever since the owner has hosted a lavish costume ball. But it is invite-only, so many people from out of the country and over the world attend."

A costume ball? Whitman bites his lip "Has anyone ever seen the owner?"

The woman shakes her head but stops. "One Halloween actually I did, he was dressed as a victorian vampire, straight bright blonde hair about collar length, and those red contacts they looked so real."

Seth takes the card to the room "That's great, thank you." he says, motioning for them to move, the woman smiles, "Enjoy your stay!!!"

The four nod and once out of sight quickly make their way to their room "That's gotta be Caius, the description matches the picture in granddad's office." states Major, Seth nods "Agreed, so there's a ball tonight how do we use that to our advantage?"

"Well, a ball usually means everyone's in one room, the rest of the place will be empty," affirms Skye. Whitman nods, "But how to get in?"

"They're a costume shop we passed, what do you wear to a vampire ball?"

"Granddad once said something about you dress from the time period you lived in."

Walking in, everyone takes a bed and sits on it facing each other "So we pick a time period, get dressed, what about the invitation-only?" asks Seth. Major looks to Whitman, "You got a spell that can whip us up something?"

"You mean both of you."

The two look at Seth, who smiles, "Major, I've seen you do magic before you're both amazing at it, and Whitman, you're strong and fast. You're both spell casters, and you're both vampires."

Major and Whitman gaze before bursting out, laughing, "Really good one Seth, a real hoot! Let's go see if we can find an invitation and some costumes." he snaps, leaving, Seth sighs going after him.

Skye looks to Whitman expectingly who just shakes his head "I can't go, full-on vampire, it's not me." he defends, Skye takes a breath, she knew it was coming so why not "Neither am I." she states.

Whitman's gaze turns puzzled as Skye takes out her wallet handing it to him, upon looking on what's inside not to say he wasn't surprised more relieved "My parents well they hated me, I was a desperate cry for attention, started stealing, forging, ended up in Juvie. So then when I was let out, I knew I wasn't wanted, started going across the country doing what I did best." she tells as Whitman moves over to sit on her bed with her "You know my mom moved a lot as a kid, child services, so I can only imagine what it's like."

"Wait, you're not mad or ashamed?"

"Of course not."

"Why?"

"Because you're kind, smart, charming...divine." starts Whitman remembering the word Jasper would use for Eve "You don't meet a lot of people like that these days." he finishes moving some hair out of Skye's face, she reaches a hand up tracing his birthmark down to his lip "I must be out of my mind," she whispers.

"Is that such a bad thing?" starts Whitman cupping her cheek, Skye smiles, "And so the criminal falls for..."

"How about the outlaw falls for the rule-breaker?"

"Since when are you a rule breaker?" fights Skye. Whitman grins, the feeling was overtaking. "I'm not allowed to talk to humans, remember," he states before panting his lips on hers before quickly pulling away. Skye raises a hand to her lips as Whitman stares "I'm sorry, did I get mixed signals-"

Skye rolls her eyes pull his collar smashing her lips on his before pulling away "If you're planning on kissing me again just shut up and do it-"

"What?"

"Your birthmark is glowing red," she exclaims, running her hand over it, pulling it back red sparks danced between her palms and his cheek. The door opens, and Major walks in. "What did you do, and why is my birthmark glowing?" he asks, dropping some bags, Seth does the same stretching the back of his neck.

Whitman raises a hand to his own mark "Maybe they're connected, mom always said it was possible to have an ability beyond just spells, a gift or a cantrip."

Major shrugs taking his brother's hand, a spark appears where they're connected and begins to grow. "Um Major." starts Seth. The two try to pull away from each other but can't seem to "Help!" shouts Whitman, Seth takes Major's arm, and Skye takes Whitman's, each pulling with all they're might.

The red glow around they join hands begins to get bigger, and the wind starts blowing, knocking things over. "Pull harder!" shouts Major.

"We're trying!-"

Skye's cut off by her and Whitman falling back onto the bed, Major stumbles back into Seth who catches him "Let's not do that again." pants Seth, everyone's nods agreeing. Major shrugs tossing one bag to Skye and the other to Whitman "Costume and invitation." he says, pulling a letter out of his back pocket.

Whitman and Skye gawk, "Where did you get that?" ask Whitman looking it over and Skye peering over his shoulder. Seth begins to lay out his costume "Funny thing, we were talking about it in the shop, and the owner said she got an invitation."

"Why didn't she take it?" asks Skye.

"Said something about her two sisters got invitations the past two years and she hadn't seen them since. Of course, she did mention that her sisters were prone to hook up, but when they didn't call...she said the placed was cursed and to go at our own risk." finishes Seth.

"They're the meal," states Whitman.

"Most likely."

"Why call it the Blood Moon Waltz, so many better names." mutters Skye, Whitman puts the letter down "I've read about that, it's a whole sacrifice that the vampires and spirits used to do to keep the peace."

"If that's the case, then we need to save mom tonight," exclaims Major. An understanding is met, challenges will be faced.

"Then before midnight, we're in, out. And don't get caught."