Chapter 40: Forward

They all just hung out and drank after dinner before the parents began to show their age. "We're going to head back to the hotel, but that doesn't mean you all can go and party. We have Avery's meet at 9 am and then all the festivities. I don't want to hear that anyone of y'all slept in, am I clear?" Sade instructed to them all. "Yes ma'am," they all replied in unison and Roger chuckled. "Oh, she's good."

They waved their parents off before heading back to Caleb's room. "What is this a debriefing session on our parents?" Jaden questioned with a laugh. "Well kind of, yeah." Tyler said. "I think they all like each other a lot." Nods were seen throughout the room. "It was really important for them to get along, because you all are my family and now our real family likes us all so it's perfect." Faye smiled.

"My brother is going to Olive or Twist to hit on some college girls." Stefan shook his head. "I think he's going to like Texas U a lot." They all laughed and talked about their family some more before Preston brought down the hammer.

"So, Caleb, why didn't you tell your Mom about football? That's kind of fucked up." Caleb took a sip of his beer and rolled his eyes. "No, but for real, Cal. Your Mom is super sweet. It's obvious she cares a lot about you. What's the baggage about?" Tyler asked wanting to really get to the root of it all. Caleb shook his head. "I'm not talking about this. My Mom and I don't have a relationship like you two do with yours." He stood up to get another drink.

"But why? What happened?" It was Aria's turn to inquire. "Look I don't feel like fucking going into this shit, so just drop it!" Caleb snapped at her causing her to flinch. He immediately saw her facial expression and regretted his words. "Babe..." Caleb began, but Aria shook her head.

"No, it's fine. We just tell each other everything and everyone here cares about you, but we shouldn't pry. You don't want to share then so be it." Aria backed away from him and made her way towards the door. "We should all get some sleep. Tomorrow is a big day, especially for Sophia Kate and me." With that she was gone and Caleb knew he should go after her but he didn't. He wasn't in the headspace to have the kind of conversation she wanted.

One by one they all began to leave until it was just Preston and Tyler left. "We know what it's like to have an ain't shit parent. Our Dad wrote the book. We also know what it's like to have a parent that loves you more than anything, because our Moms are the spokesmodels." Preston said helping Caleb clean up.

"Your Mom loves and cares about you, Caleb. A lot. I think that you owe it to yourself to work on your relationship, because from where we're standing there are two people that are hurting for no reason." Tyler said before patting Caleb's back and heading out the door. "We'll see you tomorrow at the Aquatics Center," Preston said before leaving.

Caleb showered and dressed before laying on his back. He wanted to text Aria, but he didn't know what to say. He stared at his phone for a moment before calling the one person he needed to hear from. "Dad," Caleb said softly. "Hey Caleb, what's going on man? It's pretty late over there isn't it?" Caleb nodded as if his Dad could see him.

"It is, but I needed to talk to you." Charlie Calloway hummed a response. "What's up?" He said finally. Caleb sighed. "Why didn't you come for Parents Weekend? I sent you all the details the day school started, so you could get a ticket. I really wanted you to be here." Charlie sighed as he listened to his son.

"Caleb, you know I'm busy. I had a few gigs come up with the band. Plus, I just started a new job. It just wasn't the right time." Caleb could feel the anger bubbling up inside of him as his father spewed his various excuses. "What happened with you and Mom? Why didn't you make it work?" Charlies sighed heavily this time at the sudden change of topic. "Where is this coming from bud? Did something happen?"