Chapter 28: My Prerogative

The boys made their way into Dirty Arrow as they all began to get text messages. "Did they think we already forgot the colors?" Tyler asked with a laugh. "I guess so." Caleb smiled at Aria's text that came with a selfie.

"How can I help you gentlemen?" An older woman asked. "We're here to rent tuxes for the ball this weekend." Jaden offered. "Oh, wonderful! That really is such an event and it's how we drum up a lot of business, so when people inquire as to who you're wearing be sure to say Dirty Arrow."

She led them to a sea of tuxedos of varying shades and styles. "So, this young man tells me your ladies have already designated your colors." She smiled and they nodded with a laugh. She made sure to take their measurements before walking them to the color coordinated sea of tuxedo jackets.

"I am going to go pull your pants, shirts and vests. Which one of you wants a bowtie and which wants a tie?" They offered their answers and she was off. "Yo, this jacket is fly as fuck!" Preston admired a royal blue jacket with slight silver embellishments. "You should get it. Elsa's dress is that blue." Stefan offered.

"You've seen her dress? Let me see it." Stefan shook his head. "She took a pic of the fabric and even then, didn't want you to see it. She just wanted me to steer you in the right direction." Preston rolled his eyes and took the jacket off the rack.

They all tried on their suits and loved the fit and feel. Avery stood out as his entire suit was gray with a black lapel and matching handkerchief. "You look fly, my dude." Caleb smiled as his friend shoulder bumped him. "Thanks man. I'm hoping maybe I'll find me an upperclassman to woo."

Preston clapped. "That's what I like to hear! A man with my same mission is a comrade!" They laughed at Preston as they went to change. Caleb received a text about Aria's dress and couldn't help but be excited. She's going to look beautiful in whatever she wears. He thought with a smile.

"Y'all want to eat off campus tonight?" Preston asked heading to Stefan's car. They all obliged and headed to The Disaster Café. Once Stefan and Caleb parked their cars, they all headed in. "Why does it feel like you're avoiding being around the girls," Tyler asked after they placed their orders. "I'm not avoiding the girls," Preston retorted. "I'm avoiding one girl."

They all looked at him confusedly except Stefan. "Elsa and I have been hooking up and we just ended things so it's a little awkward." JT wanted to pummel him into the ground and Preston could tell. "You've been doing what with Elsa?!" JT growled and Stefan had to hold his arm.

"You didn't tell him?" Preston asked Stefan who shook his head no. "It wasn't my business to tell." JT scoffed. "You knew and didn't say anything? You just let it happen!" Stefan took a sip of his water. "Elsa is a grown up, JT. She wanted to sleep with Preston that's her business."

JT knew he was right, but Elsa was his little sister. He loved her more than his biological sisters at times and to know that Preston was preying on her innocence angered him. "Look, I know what you're thinking JT."

"I highlight doubt that," JT spat out. "Elsa is all about science. She had a plan and was basically just using me to get it over with. It happened a few times, but we ended it because I'm not the kind of guy she wants or deserves."

JT could tell he was being honest and that was worth something. "I would never purposefully hurt her, man. You got to know that." JT nodded at his admission just as the waitresses brought out their food.

Tex-Mex was Preston's favorite type of food, but for the first time in forever his appetite just wasn't what it needed to be. Probably because you lied. You did hurt Elsa by being a grade A douchebag to her and now y'all are done. Good job! He admonished himself as he took a bite of his fajitas.

The boys quickly began talking about school and the events for this weekend. "Brooke told me the girls' dresses are going to have us looking crazy." Jaden informed as he took a sip of his Sprite. "I don't doubt it. I saw the site with Daisy and it looked legit." Stefan said taking a bite of his soft taco.

"What's going on between you and Daisy?" Caleb asked causing Stefan to choke. The guys chuckled at his facial expression. "There's nothing going on between us." Stefan coughed out before taking a sip of water. "Come on bro, you don't have to lie to us." Avery pointed out causing Stefan to sigh.

"Daisy is great. I feel like I'm just now seeing her and it's weird. She's smart and funny. She shakes me up in the best way and if I'm being honest, things are just easy around her in ways I didn't think I'd be given another chance at after everything." He looked at Caleb. "I just don't want to jump the gun that's all. I don't think I could take it if she doesn't feel the same way." Preston shook his head as he put his fork down. "Daisy is nothing like Aria. Aria is sweet, angelic almost and sees the light and rainbows in everyone." This caused them to laugh.

"But Daisy has lived through some shit. She's been to hell and back and is stronger for it and will put a nice muddy handprint on the ever-pristine canvas that is Stefan Lopez. I say you pursue something with her and fast. I don't know if y'all noticed but our friends are fucking sexy and a lot of dudes are trying to gal them up. I'd rather we keep the honey in our pot if you catch my drift."

They all laughed, but Stefan had a lot to think about. Stefan felt crazy when it came to Daisy. He wasn't sure if it was too fast or not, but he was intrigued by her. She lit him up and he really didn't think something like that could happen so soon after Aria. He didn't want to compare the two, because he couldn't. They were so different and brought light into his life equally.

Stefan just feared that maybe Daisy would feel like a rebound if he pursued something, but he knew deep down she wasn't. There was also fear. He didn't want to pursue Daisy and be rejected, but he didn't want to risk never saying anything and miss out on a magical opportunity. He would call Victor that night and get some input on the matter from his older brother, the ladies' man.

"Oh, I don't feel like doing homework." Jaden groaned as they headed back to the dorms. "Say that again! I just want to sleep!" Caleb yawned as he turned onto campus. "Nightly romps with the ever so beautiful Aria Jane keeping you up?" Preston joked from the backseat. Caleb laughed. "I wish. There are times where I can get her to cave and we'll make out and fool around for hours, but for the most part she's beyond focused on us getting a 4.0. We study more than we make out and it sucks." Jaden laughed. "They just want us to be successful. We're lucky to have them." Caleb agreed and noticed the facial expression on Preston's face.

"You like Elsa, don't you?" The question caught him off guard and had Jaden turning around to look at him. It was just them three in the car and he felt honest for some reason. "Yeah. I do, but I'm a player at heart and she doesn't deserve that." Caleb shook his head as he parked. "Take it from someone who let his preconceived notions keep him away from the girl of his dreams for longer than necessary, be honest with yourself and her. You like her. It doesn't have to be this convoluted mess. Feelings can be simple and, in your case, you simply have feelings for one of the smartest girls I know and I'm sure she feels the same if she let you be the one and only guy to have her in the most intimate way."

"Sex is a big deal, P. She chose you for a reason. Trust in that and in her and go with your feelings." Jaden offered as they got out of the car. The other guys met up with them and they were back to talking about school and the weekend. Preston knew he needed time to sit with everything. He needed to figure out if he could turn off his player ways and be the type of guy Elsa wanted. Be more like his brother.

The thought made him chuckle to himself. He was so much like his father when it came to women. The man literally got two best friends pregnant a month apart. He wanted to be better than dear old Dad and that started with much-needed self-reflection.