Chapter 14: Love on the Rocks

JT couldn't believe Faye hadn't come over last night. They had spent the night together 6 out of the 7 days last week. She said she had a date and that angered him, but the fact that he was angry is what set him off the most. He made it to class with 2 minutes to spare and took the empty seat beside her.

"Hey," she smiled not looking up from her phone. JT knew she was probably texting her new boyfriend and he rolled his eyes. At the lack of a reply Faye looked up to catch JT's eye roll and frowned. "Who pissed in your Cheerios this morning?" He tried not to glare. "No one," JT replied as he opened up his notebook in preparation for class.

"Class, I have a quick announcement to make before we begin lecture," Professor Watkins said in front of the class. "I'd like to introduce you to my teaching assistances Kira McGee and Tatum Kinsey." Faye's jaw dropped as she looked at the same guy she let kiss and finger her last night. He flashed her a quick smile and went back to looking at the professor.

"Kira will be assisting me in grading the work for students whose last name begin with A through M. Tatum will tackle students with the last name beginning with N through Z. If you have any questions about the course feel free to ask your designated TA."

JT looked at Faye's surprised reaction. "What's wrong with you?" He inquired following her gaze. "That's the guy I went out with last night. Tatum. He's the freaking TA!" She whispered with various questions bouncing around in her head. JT was furious. So, this was the prick she's been going out with. I could take him. He thought and then quickly admonished himself.

What is wrong with me? I finally find a girl who agrees to my rules and is okay with our arrangement and I'm the one who can't deal. JT knew something was wrong, because he never behaved this way. He couldn't be falling for Faye. He refused to. It was time for him to find another buddy and fast. The rest of the lecture went along swimmingly. JT scanned the class for potential buddies, but even as he looked, he knew none would compare to Faye. She was unlike any other girl.

*****

Jaden wished there was something he could do to alleviate Brooke's pain. When they were together it was as if no one saw her to bother with her. He knew that had everything to do with him and who he was and not that they were seeing past her parents' foolishness to leave her be.

However, when they were apart the bullying just continued like this wasn't college but middle school. She had texted him that she was going to her academic counselor to look into online classes. He hated that it was so hard for her. He was planning a special night just for the two of them and he was hopeful it would lift her spirits.

*****

Brooke left the office of her academic counselor feeling dejected. She wasn't allowed to take online courses as a freshman and that sucked. She was walking to Ellenton dormitory to meet with Daisy when she was shoved. "Watch where you're going thief?" A girl hissed laughing at Brooke's scattered books.

"Hey! Quit that shit! Grow the fuck up!" A voice came from behind her. She knew who it was, but grateful for the backup nonetheless. The instigator quickly ran off, her moxie all gone. "Thank you," Brooke offered as Avery handed over her remaining books. "I'm sorry you're still going through this crap." Brooke smiled slightly and made her way to head into Ellenton.

"Wait," Avery said grabbing her arm. "How are you?" It wasn't the smoothest line in the book, but it was what he had. "Now you want to know?" Brooke asked coldly. "You spend all of Fish Fest bashing me and though you had my number you STILL never once called because clearly you learned nothing from Colorado. Now because you chased off a heckler you think you can innocently inquire as to how I'm doing?" Brooke barked earning a few looks. "I'm fan-fucking-tastic, Avery!" With that she walked into Ellenton without a glance back.