Chapter 60: You Found Me

"This is a bad idea, you know that right?" Tyler said through clenched teeth. "We owe it to ourselves to get answers, T. You promised you'd have an open mind." Tyler looked at his brother and could see for the first time that he needed this.

He huffed as they heard the knock on the door. They braced themselves as their Mom opened the door. Words were exchanged in hushed whispered before Sade took a step aside and let in a man with eyes matching theirs. They stared at him for a while. They took in his sandy blonde hair and tall stature. They had so many matching features it was freaky.

"I'll be upstairs," Sade announced with a soft smile looking at her two boys before looking at Ray. As soon as her steps were no longer heard they all took their seat. "You both look so much like me," Ray had said staring at both of them. "Guess you'd know that sooner if you were around." Tyler clipped looking him dead in the eyes. Preston glared at him before looking back at their father.

"I deserve that, Tyler." He always wondered what it would sound like to hear his father call his name. He eyed him suspiciously. "Why now?" Tyler no longer cared about Preston's glares and got to the point. "I honestly wasn't going to do this. I thought it would be best I stay away since I've been gone this long, but after I told your mothers what was going on, they said I should meet you both." He was looking at Preston who eyed him wearily.

"What did you tell them?" Tyler asked him curiously. "I have end-stage renal disease. I'm dying." The news hit both brothers severely. Both boys just sat there blinking. "When did you find out?" It was the first thing Preston had said and he looked at his father square in the eye.

Ray smiled at him with a love that wasn't missed. Tyler could see the care and affection that was oozing from their father towards Preston. "I found out a few months ago and have been on dialysis, but if I don't get a kidney I'll die." Preston seemed to think on it as Tyler stared between the two.

"How long do you have?" Preston stared at their father with an expression that Ray couldn't read. "Give or take three months." Preston was visibly shaken. Tyler hated seeing his brother like that and immediately got on defense mode. "Why are you really here? What is it that you want?" Tyler was the oldest of the two and he would protect his younger brother who was apparently having an emotional breakdown.

"Your mother wanted to make sure everything was done to save my life, so she wanted me to ask you both to get tested." Tyler put it all together and laughed humorlessly. "I don't care if we're matches, you're not getting a fucking kidney from either of us. You can just go and die for all I care."

"Tyler Royce!" Sade called out looking at the boy she helped raised. Tyler immediately took on an expression of a child scolded. "I'm sorry, Ma, but we're just supposed to have a major surgery to save this asshole's life?" Sade leveled Tyler with a look. "Tyler Royce, you curse in this house one more time and I will put you over my knee, do you hear me?" Ray would've found the whole thing funny if he didn't see the anguish apparent on both of his sons' faces.

"I didn't want this for you two. I never wanted to put you in this position." Preston looked at their father and read his expression. "Why did you leave?" It was the only question that Preston knew he and Tyler needed an answer to. It was the question that once answered would change them both for better or worse.

Ray looked at Sade and sighed. "Tyler, I cared for your mother even though I was a shitty boyfriend. I used her though to get close to Sade. She and I have talked and she's forgiven me, but I need you to know I'm sorry about that. I am so grateful for our time together though because we made you. Despite all that I haven't done for you and your brother I do love you."

Ray rubbed the back of his neck as he looked at Preston and then Sade. "Preston, I have been in love with your mother since the moment I realized what love was. She was my best friend and I took her for granted. I've begged for forgiveness and though I never thought it'd happen she's given it to me. I need yours and your brother's as well. You were a surprise, but the best surprise I could have ever hoped for."