ONE. house of hello

Comincia dall'inizio

The rest of the family stepped out of the car. Ryder opened the boot of the car that was filled with three suitcases. River grabbed her large red suitcase and put it on the floor so it stood on its wheels.

"I'm going to take Patrick to his house," Devi announced.

"Make sure not to have an affair on the way," River heard her dad bitterly mumble.

She rolled her eyes, growing tired of their bickering. What was even worse was that the parents were still fighting over who got to take which child and what. Devi sent her husband an exasperated look before grabbing Patrick's green suitcase. She and the young boy left, leaving River with her dad and her brother.

After a moment of uneasy silence, Shawn was the first to hug their dad. "Bye, Dad."

River watched downheartedly as her brother didn't come over and ruffle her hair like he usually did. He just pulled his suitcase and headed into the direction of Isis House, most likely to meet up with Noah and the rest of his friends.

Ryder pulled his daughter into a hug. "Make good choices."

River gave a small shrug. "Can't count on that."

"Hey, listen, kid," Ryder gently pulled her by her shoulders and River sighed as she met his eyes. It pained her to know that she didn't look like her the man she thought was her dad. "I know it's been a tough year, but me and your mum... We're gonna work through this. Just have fun this year, okay?"

She let out a sigh and nodded. "Okay."

Ryder smiled and kissed his daughter's forehead. "I love you. But seriously, don't try and destroy the school with Jerome and Alfie."

"I'll try." She chuckled before her eyes caught on someone else coming down her way with a wide smile. River let out a beam before the person approached her, "Nina!"

"River!" Her American bestie responded with the same amount of Joy.

The two roommates shared a hug and upon letting go, Ryder smiled fondly at them. "So, you're the American my daughter befriend?"

"That's me." Nina Martin chuckled before outstretching her arm. "Nina Martin."

Ryder shook her hand. "Ryder Lawrence. Please make sure she doesn't burn down the house."

"Dad!" River whined.

The American chuckled. "Don't worry, I'll keep her in check."

River latched an arm with Nina's and grabbed her suitcase with the other. "We should get going before Trudy's food is gone." She smiled one last time to her dad. "Bye, Dad!"

"Bye, sweetheart!" Ryder replied.

The American and British duo continued down the pathway to Anubis House, with the former abruptly stopping, "What's he doing?"

River halted and turned to see what Nina was looking at. She shook her head with an amused smile at her troublemaking best friend, Jerome Clarke, who was hiding between the cars. "I have no idea."

"Jerome?" Nina called the boy's name.

Being startled upon hearing someone call his name, Jerome turned to face the girls with wide eyes, looking like a deer in headlights. He stood up and cleared his throat. "Nina, River, hello. Welcome back."