Chapter 24

Word count: 2505

When you have things to sort out, or have a goal to accomplish, do any and everything within your power to achieve it. The best way to begin is by taking the first step with determination. That determined step will push you all through the way.

Adrian's POV

*

We finished exams few days ago.

Stephano already had people move Kara's things back home immediately. My things would've been moved as well but I wasn't ready yet.

Natalia had told me she'd love to have me at theirs for a while till I figured how to move my things back to New York. I was still deliberating on it. Do I stay here or leave?

What would I do if I was here? I already applied for jobs at some places before exam even started and so far, I'd gotten positive feedbacks from two companies who were hiring fresh graduates.

I sauntered down the stairs and lazily popped gum from my lips, waving at a class mate that called me from afar.

Diego was coming to pick me and we'd go for some meal or something. I didn't know, I was too lazy to decide on anything and simply left everything to him.

His car approached just as I was heading towards the Hostel gate.

My face spread into a smile as I skipped over. "Hey."

"Baby. Get in." He told me with worried eyes.

I got in and immediately kissed him on the lips. "How was your day? What did you-" I stopped when I took in his tight, tense expression.

"My day was good, the usual."

"What's wrong?"

He smiled tightly. "Nothing much, just-"

"Cut the crap Diego, please. You've been like this for days and I'm beginning to get worried. Talk to me."

"It's my- my dad." He told me soberly.

"What's wrong with him?" I frowned.

"He's sick. He has cancer. He keeps begging me to come and see him."

My heart stilled as I heard that word. It didn't matter who had it, I simply didn't like knowing anyone had it in the first place. I braced myself and pulled my lips up into a tight smile.

"You- do you want to go over and see him?"

"Honestly? No. I'm better off without that man in my life." He told me through clenched teeth. I couldn't say I knew what he was going through when I saw pain in his eyes because the truth was that I didn't.

"Okay. Then don't go." I told him firmly and saw the light slowly dim in his eyes. "Or you could take some time off and visit to see him for a bit."

"I'm no longer angry about what he did. I'm just hurt because I had so much respect for him and we were so close. He was perfect in my eyes, the perfect man. The perfect dad."

"We all make mistakes Diego, some are just graver than others. You might need this closure and we don't know if he'll make it..." My voice grew quiet and I tried not to think of the charming guy with blonde hair and blue eyes who had one of the most beautiful smiles ever.

This time last year, he was still alive. I shook my head and heaved a deep breath to steel myself and block out those thoughts.

"I'll let him know my decision soon. We should go out and see some of my friends. By the way, have you thought about getting a place soon?"