Chapter 1

Word count: 2682

Adrian's POV

*

Fire

Flames

Burning.

The echoes in my head got louder. The shadows clawed against my erected walls, tearing them down. The monsters had only one intention.

They planned to destroy me.

"Adrian..."

The soft voice broke into my thoughts.

The numerous voices echoing in my head went still and I blinked, a startled gasp escaping my lips as I was instantly pulled from that dark place

My eyes darted around in awareness. I wasn't alone. There were colors around and things too. This wasn't the dark abyss I'd just been pulled out from. In the room, there was a bed which I was huddled by the edge, light blue painted walls, random bags on a wall rack, shoes and some cute wall paintings.

There was no sign of the black and white I'd been battling with just now.

Blinking again, I realized I had slipped into another memory and I was now sat in a familiar room.

It was my bedroom in my rented apartment which I rarely stayed at, since I was almost always with my best friend at the dorm, Kara. Or rather, maybe I should call this place the apartment Lucas had gotten for me when I once told him I would never meet up with him at an hotel again.

That was a year ago when we'd just started our sex with benefits deal.

I sighed into my bed and looked up at him, the man who managed to calm all the monsters in my head. My eyes glazed with overwhelming contentment.

"Yes Shawnie?" I chuckled when his handsome face morphed into a scowl.

He hated the petname, but was only putting up with it because I was the only one who called him that.

After watching a movie with him one time, I realized the main character had so much semblance to Lucas and since the character's name was Sean, I started calling my boyfriend Shawnie. Pronounced like Seanie.

"Marry me." Lucas suddenly murmured.

I smiled, he smiled too.

"What?" I cackled, guessing I'd heard him wrong.

"Marry me." Lucas repeated. His pale blue eyes were shining brightly, I could tell he was very happy.

I giggled and leaned in to kiss his pale lips. With tender eyes, Lucas stared at me and my smile widened.

"What are you saying?" I rolled us over and laid on top, kissing his chiseled jaw line and making sloppy sounds. My hair fell into his face and he gently put it out of his face, chuckling.

"Never mind."

"Seriously?" I sat on his thighs, knowing the only thing covering his naked form from me was the duvet wrapped around his waist since we'd just had a powerful workout in bed, an activity that hadn't needed the presence of clothes.

I was also just wearing a white silk panty.

"Yeah baby, seriously." He muttered something under his breath and coughed.

"Cold?" I asked.

"Not that much. Warm me up." He circled an arm around my waist and made me lie on him.

I giggled.

And it was in this position I had drifted back into slumber.

That was the day Lucas had proposed to me, and I hadn't taken it seriously because...Lucas never took things all too serious.