Chapter 35

Word count: 2838

Adrian's POV

*

I got up early the next day and prepared breakfast, mentally planning my day. Then I received a call from my step-mom while preparing coffee to go with the bread and jam.

"Good morning mom."

"You wouldn't have called if I didn't call you. Are you even my daughter?" She complained immediately I picked the call. I checked the time on the wall clock, wondering why her voice sounded so lively at such an hour.

"Sorry, I've been busy." I apologized. "And seven AM is too early to make calls.

"So you're telling me you've been too busy to pick my calls?" She asked in a sad, exaggerated tone.

"No. I- Diego fell sick." I used Diego as an excuse because I knew she would drop the complaints and change the topic.

"What? When? What happened to him? How is he doing now? Has he gone to the hospital? What's the cause of the illness? Where is he now?" She fired questions upon questions, making me pull my hand away and stretch the phone so I wouldn't strain my ears.

After she quieted down, I placed the phone on speaker and kept it on the counter, adding sugar and milk to the cup of hot coffee.

Diego sometimes liked his coffee tasteless, with only the aroma caressing his nostrils and taste buds but since he'd be taking the coffee with bread and jam, he would have to take it with the addition of milk and sugar.

"No. He's fine. I mean, we went to the hospital yesterday already and they said he just has to work on taking proper care of himself." I blurted and immediately felt guilty for ranting that way. What if she thought he wasn't taking enough care of himself?

Ugh. She would nag me to the moon and back. I wasn't even prepared for that one bit.

"You should take extra care of him. I have a good doct-"

"So why exactly did you call mom?"

"Oh. Well, I have some good news!" She shrieked again, completely discarding the recommendation she was about to give earlier. My step-mom had the attention span of a fly.

Shuddering at the high pitch, I rolled my eyes. "I can hear the good news even if you whisper it mom. Seriously!"

"Fine. You're such a party pooper. I'll hang up now. Make sure you take a good care of that handsome young man and feed him properly-"

A frown morphed onto my face as I puckered my lips in confusion. "Wait, why are you hanging up? You've not told me the reason you called."

She let out an exaggerated exhale. I knew it was exaggerated because I'd known this woman for so many years.

"Oh. That. I thought you weren't really interested."

"But I never said I wasn't." I argued.

"You implied it, Adriana. You're so stubborn, just like your father."

"But you knew this before marrying him." I retorted.

"Yes. And now I have to live the rest of my life with that insufferable man. Anyway, there are two interesting pieces of news. One is...okay no. You'll have to come home. I'm not telling you shit over the phone."

"Language woman." I giggled, wondering if she was really the middle aged woman I knew as my step mom.

"Sorry. When that handsome man-"

"His name is Diego."

"Of course. When Diego gets better, could you guys make a trip to NewYork? Your father and I would really appreciate it if you could make it next week. Even your brother would appreciate it, because he has some good news to share as well."

Billionaire's Spitfire ✔जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें