Chapter 46

Word count: 4793

Heavily Unedited

Adrian's POV

*

The feel of something hard pressing against the inside of my leg had me sliding back in a sluggish confusion.

A soft moan escaped my lips as I stretched a little, opening my eyes only to see I was staring at white fabric. The momentary confusion made me scrunch up my brows until I realized where I was as I trailed my gaze up till they stopped on the face of the man I was entangled with in bed.

Diego.

I blinked and a small smile spread across my lips.  

We slept late last night. Well technically, I slept late. He slipped in and out of consciousness until his fever broke at three AM after my constant checkups and body wiping.

We'd have gone to the hospital after he ate but he insisted on treating himself at home, saying except he had food bugs, he rarely ever fell sick and he knew what he had was merely fever which I could help him with if I gave him constant checkups.

Something I would definitely pay for by taking an afternoon nap later today.

A glance at the beside little clock told me it was already nine thirty in the morning.

Thank goodness I'd completed some work yesterday so I could take some time off today to spend with Diego. I also had to see Daniel and Lola since they'd be leaving Italy today.

I slid out of bed while saying a short prayer of thanks and went to ease myself. Then rinsed my mouth since I had no toothbrush with me and wasn't sure if Diego would mind me using his brush. I wouldn't mind but maybe he would want to take things slow or something.

Pulling down the black faded t-shirt I wore here in a hurry yesterday— which I'd apparently slept in— I raised my arms up to check my breasts and do breast examination. Yes my mom died of breast cancer years ago and for some reason I became obsessed with checking my breasts to make sure they were still in the perfect condition.

When we were still at our school dorm, Kara got used to me asking her to do the breast examination from time to time. A part of me had gotten obsessed with it, like I'd wake up one day and discover either I or someone close to me had stage four cancer or something.

"Adrian? Where are you?" I heard Diego's voice calling frantically outside and a frown pulled up my face as I left the humongous bathroom and stepped into the passage. "Did she leave?" He asked himself. "Adrian."

A shaky sigh escaped my lips as his voice rang in the empty condo. He sounded so broken and lost.

I walked to the sitting room where he was sat on the chair, his head in his palms while his elbows rested on his thighs. "Hey, you're awake."

He looked up and his expression instantly brightened. I resisted the urge to walk to him and squeeze his cheeks. His expression right now was wholesome.

"I thought you left." He ended the words with a sad look as he slowly got up, eyeing me as if afraid I would run away.

My eyes welled and I sped walked to him, wrapping my arms around him. "Of course not. I wouldn't leave you like that."

"You won't leave me at all." He corrected in a deadpan.

"Yes. I won't leave you. I'll never leave you. Never again."

"Good. Because I dreamt that I was sleeping and when I woke up you weren't there and that scared me because when I woke up in reality, you really weren't there."