Chapter 45

Word count: 3875

Heavily unedited

Diego's POV

*

My mom was happy when I left her at home. She'd also made sure I had a stomach full of her macaroni salad, complaining about how I was too thin and took the company business too seriously. Like, wouldn't the company crumple to the ground if the management and the CEO didn't take it seriously?!

Few weeks ago, I'd sat with her and had a long talk with her and some confessions about what my dad had done and his reason for doing them. And she had broken down, told me to leave her for a while and then later she'd gotten back to her usual self, doting on me before making me escort her back to the hospital where my dad was.

I drove to the hospital to check on my old man and then spent the next thirty something minutes giving him a rundown of everything that needed his intervention or his signatures.

"You look so thin." He commented out of the blue, promoting my next action as I looked up at him expressionlessly.

"Thanks. It tends to happen to someone when they suddenly have to run a company even though they don't know much about that. You know, they never prepared for it and the burden suddenly fell on their shoulders." I shrugged with a bored look.

Then I refocused my attention on the monthly audit, giving him a rundown until he sighed heavily, notifying me he wanted to say something again.

"You should go to her." He said softly, a hint of what I detected to be pity in his tone. Well, that wasn't what I'd expected to hear from him.

I looked up at my dad, surprised he was telling me to go to a certain 'her'. He told me she would ruin me. He'd been ranting about how she had gotten into my head and whatnot, how she was between me and Cindy whom I'd known for years. Cindy was now married and had a baby boy. She got married to Mark, my friend who'd made a drunken confession two years ago that he'd slept with her and caught feelings.

That was why I low-key felt disgusted when she still made advances at me after the drunk fuck with him. But they were now together, only a few months into their happily ever after.

Also, I felt a little guilty when I accused Cindy of sleeping with me and Mark and also Javier, one of our other friends the night we had a fight because of the text she sent Adrian through my phone. Cindy hadn't slept with Javier but I'd said it to hurt her and even the sex with Mark had been a drunken mistake. It was when they met again after a while and slept together the second time that she got pregnant. And he immediately put a ring on her finger, making sure she wouldn't leave him again and travel across the world to stay away from him.

The thought reminded me of what I'd lost with the love of my own life.

"You hate her." I gritted out even though I felt my emotions conflicting. Anger. Relief. Pent up frustration. Longing...for her.

"I don't hate her. I was once like you, head over heels for my wife. In fact, still feel that way towards your mother. I was merely upset back then because you found a reason to stay away for that long. She was the reason you stayed away from us."

"Please drop the talk about my love life. I have work to get done." I gritted out.

"Work will always be there. She won't, at least not if you keep yourself away and deny you both what you long for." He leaned back into his pillow and cleared his throat, his frail hand scratching his jaw with a frown. "And I don't think you'll enjoy another man making love to her-"

"Dad!" I got up, throwing him a nasty look as a scowl took possession over my face, a vivid image of his descriptions already forming a scene in my head. A dangerous scene that shouldn't be spoken of, talk less imagined for even a second.