49.

Ambrosia frowned as she lay in Edward's arms, opposite them resided Fred and Roz, equally wound in an embrace

Ambrosia frowned as she lay in Edward's arms, opposite them resided Fred and Roz, equally wound in an embrace. The pregnant redhead was currently sleeping but she looked awful, she seemed to be wasting away on the spot purely as the bump grew bigger. Ambrosia had never seen her so ill, not even when she had the flu. She looked like a walking corpse and Fredrick held her with such gentle touches as if a single touch could shatter her. The baby was breaking bones now, it had been a rib that morning, but they were terrified of how long they had before it started to break more important things- it seemed to be leaching from Rosalind's very life source and nobody knew what to do to help her.

"Carlisle said the baby isn't compatible with her body" Freddie informed them in a low whisper, even if Rosalind had been awake- she wouldn't have caught it, his voice was hollow, his eyes a pitch-black now because he refused to leave her side long enough to hunt. It was the worst news, though it was an obvious facet of truth- This baby, although so young, was stronger than Roz, and that was exactly what they had anticipated from the very beginning.

"She's strong, Freddie" Ambrosia promised her brother-in-law and he smiled tightly at her. "Roz is one of the strongest people I know, she can do this."

"I really hope so" he breathed, brushing his soulmates flaming red hair back from her forehead. "I don't know what I will do without her. I don't even want to think about it."

"You'll have a child soon, how crazy is that?" Edward chuckled, lightening the situation and Edward rolled his eyes.

"As long as he's not as annoying as we were when we were little" Freddie returned with a scoff.

"He?" Ambrosia smiled. "Little bump could be a she"

"Oh, hell" Fredrick groaned as if somehow, he hadn't thought about that possibility. "That's even worse. What about like... Dresses and boys, I'll have to show them all what's what"

"You have to get through diapers and screaming first" Edward reminded, amused at the way Fredrick rolled his eyes to the heavens at the mere thought.

"Where's Rose today? Usually, Roz has a blonde sidekick joined to her hip" Fred teased and was answered from a different direction as Seth marched into the room, chomping aggressively on a sandwich Esme had made him- Secretly, Ambrosia thought that Esme enjoyed having humans in the house who she could care for. The tanned boy hopped to sit, appearing very at home which made them all smile- he was a part of the family now, even if he reeked of wet dog. And soon, to all of their distaste, his wolf friends would be joining them. Their trip over from Forks to Oregon had been delayed, Paul and Embry having to stay behind because their friend Jacob had imprinted- on Bella Swan no less. They all smiled at the thought, even if she wasn't a part of their family anymore, they still cared about her.

It meant that Embry, Paul and Max would all be coming over in a few days instead- they didn't want to leave Seth all alone for too long, and there was talk of his older sister Leah also coming along- though Leah completely hated the thought of vampires, she only just barely tolerated Bree. Ambrosia couldn't help but find it sweet how the pack babied Seth, they all saw him as a child because he was the youngest.

Who would have thought that Bree and Seth would be the ones to smash the decades' long divide between the Cullens and the Quieletes.

"Emmett has made Rosalie go to their house, apparently he thinks all his hard work in redecorating has been going to waste because they've hardly been there" he informed, shrugging and they all knew that it sounded exactly like Emmett.  "How's she doing?" he asked, directing his attention to Roz as he finally finished his sandwich, there was a clear worry in his eyes. The red-head had made friends with all of the pack thanks to Max. It didn't matter that Roz was mated to a vampire, they still cared about her as if she was one of their own imprints.

"She's coping" Fred sighed and they all knew that that was code. She wasn't doing well, but they retained their hope.