30.

"Did you know" Ambrosia hummed gently from where she sat opposite him on the beach, the windy night's air flowing through her hair though not chilling her

"Did you know" Ambrosia hummed gently from where she sat opposite him on the beach, the windy night's air flowing through her hair though not chilling her. They were perfectly content with the weather, even as it burst and galed around them. "Roz has decided that she wants to be with Freddie now. Apparently, he isn't perpetually grumpy with her as he is with everyone else... Can I move this one here?" she frowned, hovering the knight piece over one of the squares and Edward's eyes shifted down from where they were pinned on her face to see where she was gesturing. His hand reached across and moved her hand gently between two different squares.

"No, but you can put it there or there." she wasn't a very good chess-player, she, in fact, forgot how to play every time he tried to teach her. Ambrosia didn't know which piece moved there, and she knew that Edward could easily have won the game a long time ago, though he was humouring her purely so the game wouldn't end so soon. "Fred hasn't always been so grumpy. It's only in the last two decades or so- A bit like me I suppose, I was like that before I met you. I'm glad that he has her now, though. I hope she can make him better- as you did for me" he smiled brightly, teeth flashing in the moonlight as he moved his piece smoothly, taking the knight that she had just moved. Ambrosia pouted and glared at the board as though it would suddenly tell her the answer. All the while, Edward grinned at how purely adorable he found her reaction.

"You changed me too" she reminded, moving a piece randomly, paying hardly any attention because she already knew that she couldn't possibly beat him- Edward humoured her anyway. His smile encouraged her to continue. "When you first moved to Forks, I heard Lauren and Jessica talking about you in the library- they only caught my attention because they were messing up the carefully categorised fiction section" she grinned and he scoffed. "They were so excited about your family, you all had so much attention and I decided right then that I wouldn't allow myself to be anywhere near that attention. I didn't want it, I was content being shy and only visiting the cafeteria once a week because Max forced me to. And then I crashed into you and that was the first time I really paid attention to you, that I really allowed myself to look at you. And of course, you were the most gorgeous man I'd ever met in my life. Yet, somehow, I always found it so easy to talk to you, to be close to you" she smiled and Edward grinned in response, aimlessly moving his own knight.

"Thank you, for allowing yourself to open up to me, Ambrosia. I don't know where I would be without you. You flipped my world over, in the best possible way" he took her hand gently, his thumb running over her shimmering rings- rings he was glad to know that he put there. "I know that Roz and Fred will do the same thing for one another. They already are." he brought the conversation back around.

"You changed my life too, Edward," she assured and hearing his name on her tongue, even after all that time- warmed his heart. It felt so intimate and she smiled gently at him, twisting her hand to lace her fingers with him; the game in front of him forgotten. "... Is Roz happy? At the wedding, she said to me that she was worried, about loving a vampire. She knows that if she loves him, eventually he will either lose her or turn her. But... She's happy?"

"She seems happy" he nodded, assuring her with a smile and finding it sweet how much she cared for her sister. It didn't matter that Rosalind and Ambrosia were not related by blood- they were sisters and he knew that leaving Forks had been made all the more difficult for Ambrosia because she had to leave behind Roz- the thought that they could now be together forever was somewhat refreshing. "I do try not to look into her thoughts though" he cringed and Ambrosia frowned in amusement- instantly curious.

"Why? What's in her mind?"

"Roz and Fred don't believe in waiting for marriage. That's all I'm willing to say on the matter or else I might do the impossible and throw up." he teased.

"Ugh, yes. Keep that to yourself" she giggled and he chuckled. "I forgot that you had to listen to all those thoughts" Ambrosia scoffed. "Does it ever get hard? Hearing all of them? I imagine it would be like standing in a very crowded room" she queried, playing with his fingers where his hand rested in her lap- the game between them was completely forgotten.

"It's exactly like that, it's all like a fuzzy noise until I focus on the thoughts I want to hear. And it is really busy in my mind. It's like having a headache sometimes, when there's a lot of people, only we clearly can't have headaches. But, when I am in a crowded room- and you're there, I can turn it all off by looking inside your head. I can't hear your thoughts but listening to your thoughts, the silence and warmth of the nothingness- it makes all the others fade away" he hummed and she smiled shyly.

"I'm glad I can be of some use to you."

"You're everything, Ambrosia."