Part 2, chapter 20

-This was the best surprise you could do to me !

She looks at me and her smile gets even wider and her cheeks more red.

-Oh Shawn... that was not the surprise!

-Excuse me ?

She turns around and grabs a beautiful box that is about the size of a shoe box. It is wrapped in a green gift paper with a sequined ribbon around it.

-Madison, how can something that fits in a box be better than your presence by my side?

-You'll see ! She says excitedly.

She is practically jumping up and down in excitement as she hands me the surprzingly light box.

-Maddi, why did you bring me a gift... It's not even close to my birthday...

-Do I really need a reason to give a gift to my fiancé?

I really wonder what could get her so excited and at the same time fit in there. It clearly isn't concert tickets, the box is too big. She definitely would not have flown here to tell me she adopted an animal... I grab the ribbon, and before I pull it off, she asks:

-Do you remember that afternoon under the willow, near the river?

-Of course, that's when I proposed to you!

How could I have forgotten the most beautiful day in my life?

-That's not the only thing that happened that day... she says at the exact moment when I take off the box's lid, revealing...

What ?

In the middle of pink creased paper, lays a tiny pair of shoes that could fit on a doll, and matching pyjamas. I pick up the small clothes and stare at her for a second.

-Maddi what's this? I don't understand... Do you want to...

-Oh Shawn... she says coming closer and taking my hands in hers.

She opens her mouth to say something, but no sound comes out. Instead, her eyes just fill with tears. She looks at me in such an intense way that my heart goes crazy.

-Shawn I... I am pregnant.

Hold on.

What ?

-It's impossible ! The doctors, they said...

-I know ! She cuts me off. I know they said I can't have a baby... but here it  is! I had an ultrasound last week. The doctor said it is a perfectly healthy two months old baby...

I can't believe it. I thought we would never have a child of our own... And here, just here, under my fingers, grows our baby, a baby that was conceived on the day of our engagement. I have no words, except the tears rolling down my cheeks...

-Our baby...

-Yes !

She leans forward and kisses me passionately, and that is now definitely the happiest moment in my life! I gently take her hips in my hands, and once more let my fingers run through her belly. I imagine our tiny child, the size of a bean, right here!

Madison turns around to face the tens of faces that are staring at us through the open door. My whole crew has probably been watching us all the time, but they surely are too far to have heard us. I take Maddi in my arms and quickly wipe the tears off my cheeks to walk to them.

-Guys... I have important news...

I look at Maddi and she gives me a wink to tell me to continue.

-Maddi and I, we are engaged now...

Hearing this, half the crew smiles and starts congratulating us, as they surely didn't know yet.

-And we... we are going to have a baby!

-What ?

-No way !

-I am so happy for you !

The crew goes crazy, rushes to congratulate us and give us friendly hugs, and I try my best to keep Maddi safe against me. I don't want anything to happen to her this time!

-Oh Maddi, I whisper. Please tell me you are staying with us!

-Why would I have come all this way if I weren't staying?