Chapter 34

I look inside the box and my jaw drops. I cannot even say a word.

-Shawn... I... It's... It's beautiful !

Inside the box, is a diamond necklace. You can't even imagine how beautiful it is. The kind of jewelry you dream of when you walk past jewellers' boutiques, knowing you will never be able to afford one... And here it is, right in front of me... I let my fingers run through the gems. I can barely believe it !

 I can barely believe it !

-Shawn you... bought it for me ?

-Yes I did ! Let me put it around your neck !

He gently takes the necklace in his hands and I feel his fingers in my neck. A shiver runs down my spine and I try not to blush. Shawn Mendes is here, 5 cm in front of me, putting a several thousand dollars diamond necklace around my neck. Am I dreaming right now ? Suddenly, I see my designer, standing next to Julie and Lisa. She smiles at me and gives me a wink. So that's the reason why Shawn talked to her ! She didn't give me a necklace on purpose ! He wanted to buy me the perfect one ! He is such an angel !

-Now princess Madison, let's go to the gala !

I grab his hand and we get out of the hotel. As soon as we walk through the doors, hundreds of fans start screaming his name. Cameras flash everywhere. Here starts the adventure ! Shawn opens the door of the black car that's waiting for us and I hop inside, trying not to step on my dress. He takes place next to me and the engine roars.

Everything is so calm now that the doors are closed. Through the window, I recognise the streets. I walked down these roads so many times. If I had known that one day this would happen to me ! Going to a gala with Shawn...

-Maddi, everything is going to be alright... he says, holding my hand.

-What?

-You are trembling.

-Oh...

-I am here for you. I'll stay with you as much as I can !

-Thank you !

-We will be arriving in 5 minutes !The driver says.

My mind rushes as I remind myself of what will happen, how I'll have to walk and stand... And in what seems like a second, the car stops. Through the tinted window, I see the red carpet, I see the journalists, I see the fans... My heart races, I feel my cheeks burning. I can't do this... I must, but I can't.... I...

-Come on Maddi. Shawn whispers. Let's be the king and queen of this gala !

I smile at him and he opens the door and steps out. I hear everyone screaming his name. He holds the door open for me and it's my turn to get out, and stand in front of everyone... Here I am ! I would never have imagined this ! Shawn smiles at me, he has sparkling eyes.

-You are perfect Maddi. He whispers.

He grabs my hand and we start to walk along the red carpet. I concentrate, try to make small steps, smile, not to trip... It's very difficult. I think of so many things at a time ! Wow, there are so many people ! Oh ! Cameras ! My dad and my brother are watching me! I need to smile! Someone called our name! Turn around and pose for the photo! Damn, Shawn is so handsome!

 I think of so many things at a time ! Wow, there are so many people ! Oh ! Cameras ! My dad and my brother are watching me! I need to smile! Someone called our name! Turn around and pose for the photo! Damn, Shawn is so handsome!

Then we arrive at the steps. At the top, I recognise John Legend and Taylor Swift. Oh my ! Taylor Swift ! My heart races. It can't be real ! Shawn turns around and notices her too. She smiles at him and waves. I put a foot on the first step and start to climb but... Shawn is stepping on my dress and it pulls me back. I lose my balance and start to fall back. If he hadn't been behind me to hold me before I really fell , this would have been the most embarassing moment of my whole life! At the top, Taylor tries not to laugh.

-Madison I am so so sorry ! I am so clumsy !

-It's ok, at least I didn't really fall !

-I'll be more careful now !

We walk up the stairs, keeping a fair security distance between us, and walk to the interview place. That's where Shawn and I will separate, until the award ceremony. Did I mention the award ceremony ? Cause there is one ! Right before the dinner ! And Shawn has been nominated for the best male pop artist ! Hell yeah ! So right now, I have two hours to spend «on my own». Two hours I need to survive through. Across the room, I recognise a group of St Laurent designers I worked with in Paris. I walk to them and as I am about to join the goup, a journalist that works for « Gala » stops me.

-Hello ! You are the designer Madison de Beaumont right ?

-Yes I am !

-You work for St Laurent ! Tell us about it ! How is it to be here right now ?

-It is amazing ! I started working in Toronto a few months ago, and coming back to where I come from is a great feeling !

-So tell us, who is wearing St Laurent tonight ? Are you ?

-Of course I am, this dress was designed and sewed by my own hands !

-Oh wow, really ?

-Yes ! Then, John Legend is wearing St Laurent, as well as Shawn Mendes !

-Shawn ! He is your partner tonight ! Did you design his suit ?

-No I didn't... (I wish I had ! I thought) This was my collegue's job. She did an amazing work !

-Indeed, he looks gorgeous! But tell us... she whispers. Everyone was surprised when they saw you two arrive together. You know Shawn was not supposed to have a partner. Are you two dating?

-What ? No ! Absolutely not ! I laugh !

Across the room, I see Shawn looking at me. He is being interviewed too. I turn my eyes away when I see the man interviewing him look in my direction. Did he just ask Shawn the same thing ? This is so embarassing...

The journalist lets me go and I decide to walk to the table that holds cocktails. I know I won't be taking anything, but at least that will keep me occupied a minute. I look at Shawn. He finished his interview. He smiles at me and walks towards me. Thank god I'll have a reassuring company. But Shawn is still about 10 meters away when I feel a hand on my shoulder.

-Madison ? I hear someone ask behind me.

I turn around and my heart stops when I see in front of me...