Chapter 21

Suddenly, my phone screen lights up. I look at it and see a message from my brother.

« Hey lil sis' ! How are you ? Is everything Ok in Toronto ? »

I look up and see Shawn smiling at me. Oh hell yeah ! Everything's more than ok here ! I type a quick answer and promise to call him as soon as I can, then I get up and join Shawn who is waving at me to come.

-The video is ready, Connor explains.

I get close to the computer so I can see the screen and Andrew plays the recording. Behind me, I feel Shawn bending over my shoulder. It may be nothing for him, but I can feel his warmth and his body against my back. I try to concentrate on the video. It's very beautiful. Simple but beautiful. (see stitches acoustic video with Shawn and Heilee Steinfeld)

-Well done everyone, and especially Connor ! I say when it is finished. You did great jobs! It's amazing !

-Well done to you ! Andrew answers. You have an amazing talent ! I am looking forward for more collabs !

-I'm not a singer, honestly I don't think there will be more...

-How are you not a singer ? Isn't it you that posted a song recently ? I think it's « Limits » ?

-Maddi you posted a song ? Why didn't you tell me ? Shawn asks, surprised.

-Well... yeah... I wrote a song but...

-It has so much success ! Andrew says.

-Maddi...

-Shawn I'm a stylist, not a singer. I might be talented, but I'm shy... I did my best today !

Everyone's focusing on me right now and it makes me feel terribly nervous. I am so embarrassed. I am losing control and my hands start shaking. This can't happen right here in front of everyone ! With a lump in my throat, I exit the room and walk away.

-Maddi wait !

Shawn follows me and catches me in a corridor. He grabs my arm and faces me. Tears come to my eyes but he wipes them out.

-Hey it's okay... Shawn whispers, giving me a hug. I am sorry we made you feel bad... All you need to know is that you were amazing today !

-Thank you... I'm sorry I reacted in a strange way, I'm just not used to... all of this. And I'm shy, I wasn't feeling comfortable...

-It's okay, I understand...

-And I hope you don't mind for the song. I wrote it, but I didn't expect it to go viral. Connor did all the job. I was afraid to tell you. You were so focused on Shirley, I didn't even think you'd care...

-Maddi, I care about you... so much! I really do. And I understand you didn't share it with me...

-You can listen to it now ! I laugh.

-Thanks !

He holds me tight for a few seconds, dry my tears and looks at me. He is so handsome... I want to stay here in his arms forever.

-Thank you Shawn, for everything you do for me.

-You're welcome ! He giggles.

Then he stares at me for a second and asks :

-Can I show you something tonight ?