Chapter 40

I run in the streets, tears streaming down my face. My sight is blurry. I can barely see where I am going. The pain in my chest is huge. I am no good for Shawn. I'll never be the one for him ! Each time we get closer, he avoids me the next day !

I run and run, until I hear a voice behind me :

-Maddi wait !

I hear his footsteps behind me. Leave me alone! Let me go ! The pain intensifies when he gets closer. I run faster, turn right in a narrow street. The floor is covered in gravels. I hear him catching up with me. I can't control myself, I can't stop ! My hands are shaking, my legs running by themselves.

But suddenly, I slip on a wet rock and fall face down on the ground. Shawn comes closer but I instinctively move backwards until my back hits a wall. I am trapped, I can't escape from him anymore.

-Maddi what's going on ? Maddi ! Madison answer me ! He says.

I can't speak, I can't breathe. I can't even think. His words are falling in the void. Everything is blurry, my whole body is shaking. I try to catch my breath but the air is missing and I suffocate. Why can't I take control of my own body? He takes my face in between his hands to force me to look in his eyes. 

-Maddi stop panicking ! Look at me , and breathe deeply.

I try to do as he says, and slowly, my heart rate slows down and I can breathe again. I notice the worried look on his face and the fear in his eyes.

-Don't ever do this to me again ! He whispers. I was so scared !

He takes me in his arms, and the shaking stops.

-Tell me Madison, what were you running from ?

-I... I don't know. I just got scared... about... everything. I couldn't control myself anymore... It's like my whole world was falling apart.

-I know this feeling. Trust me. But it's OK now. I am here for you. Just like you were for me. Listen. I won't let you down, if that's what scared you. Shirley won't come back ! She won't hurt you anymore. I will not let her do this again. I promise.

He wipes my tears with his sleeve and smiles at me gently.

-Thank you...

-Now, let's go back to the hotel. I've got your family to meet, and I think you need a good shower! He laughs.

I get up and wipe the dirt off my dress. Shawn arranges my makeup that ran down my cheeks, for papparazzis are surely not gonna miss taking pictures of us.

-Are you ok ?

-Yeah, I am now.

He places his arm around my shoulders in a protective way and keeps me close against him, as we walk back to the main street. People rush towards us when they see us, taking photos, asking questions...

-What happened ?

-Shawn, are you guys dating ?

-What did you do to her ?

-Look over here!

I struggle to keep my tears from fallings. I don't want him to have a bad reputation because of me...

-Please, leave us alone... he answers calmly, pulling me even closer to him. This is none of you business!

But no one leaves us alone untill we finally reach our car. Shawn opens my door so that I can walk in safely. Then he sits on the driver's seat, and we head to the hotel.

-Shawn, how can I thank you for taking so much care of me ?

-You don't have to... that's what friends are here for. He answers giving me a wink.

Friends. Yeah...