⋆𝓁𝒾𝓀𝑒 𝒶 𝓇𝒾𝓋𝑒𝓇⋆

Mrs Barber drove both of them to school, with a potential killer on the loose, she didn't want her son walking to school, or Y/N- who she'd always thought of as her daughter. As they drove past the park, Y/N sighed- feeling sick all of sudden, she reached to open the window but Jacob took her hand. He looked at her, giving her a reassuring smile. He must've known she was feeling ill at the thought that they were driving past the place where Ben was killed. 

Y/N was distraught at the thought that Ben was gone, not just for a while but forever, however she felt loads better and happier whenever she was around Jacob. In fact, she thought she might even-

The car came to a halt and Mrs Barber turned around to them both, smiling softly, "Have a good day, guys." Y/N smiled and thanked Mrs Barber before getting out of the car. As Mrs Barber drove away, Y/N felt Jacob grab her hand and squeeze it a little as they walked through the schoolyard together. That day, in school, everyone seemed to be a little quiet. Perhaps it was because everyone was shocked that such a popular guy had been killed. Maybe it was because they had their own suspicions as to who had killed him. Y/N couldn't even imagine why anybody would do such a thing.

She walked with Jacob and she spotted Derek, who she knew didn't like her that much at all. She saw Jacob nod at him, he just ignored him and turned back to his friends. Y/N figured it was about the conversation they'd had the other night. She saw him whisper something to his friends, looking over at them both.

Y/N just shook her head and sighed softly, noticing Jacob looked a little hurt by Derek ignoring him, "He's a dick." She whispered to him. Jacob felt comforted by it, even though he was still his friend- or so he thought. 

༄༄༄༄༄

Y/N sat in class with Jacob, trying her hardest to focus on the equations on the bored. It was hard, all she could pay attention to was the looks she was receiving from Derek's friends and the empty seat next to Sarah. The empty seat, the seat that had belonged to Ben.

The teacher turned around, eyeing the classroom, scowling. Her eyes landed on Y/N, who was distracted and not paying attention. The teacher sighed and gave no thought, or care, as to why she was distracted- she decided to call her out on it instead.

"Y/N, would you come up here to solve this equation?" The teacher asked, hands on hips, acting superior. Y/N froze, she hated being called on and today wasn't even a good day. Her eyes landed on the equation on the board, deciding whether or not she could do it. She was fairly certain she couldn't, she hadn't been paying attention all lesson.

Y/N shook her head and looked back down at her notes, "No, thank you." The class chuckled, nobody ever refused- unless they wanted to start a problem.

The look on the teachers face made people cover their mouths to hide the fact that they were laughing, the teacher leaned forwards a little, "No? Okay then, let me change my sentence. Come up here and solve this equation."

Y/N couldn't be dealing with this, not today, she didn't look up at the teacher, "No. I don't want to." The teacher raised her eyebrows and hushed the class who was 'ooing' at Y/N's response. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Derek rolling his eyes. He must have thought that she was saying this for attention, she wasn't.

The teacher opened her mouth, getting annoyed, she was preparing to shout. And Y/N braced herself for the harsh words that she knew she'd have to endure. But the telling off never came.

"The answer to the equation is x equals six point thirty-four, miss."

The teacher closed her mouth and looked over at the person who had spoken, Y/N looked too. It was Jacob. Y/N could see the look of confusion as to what she should do in the teachers eyes, but she was kind of just relieved Jacob had answered for her. The teacher gave a nod and turned back to the board, writing the answer down. "Correct, Mr Barber."

Y/N turned to Jacob and smiled at him, whispering a quick "Thanks" to him. Jacob just smiled back at her.

༄༄༄༄༄

Jacob and Y/N were at Ben's house, the teenagers were in the living room chatting and listening to music whereas the parents were in the other rooms mourning. Y/N was sitting next to Jacob on the couch eating a bag of chips. She'd been in that room before, with Ben when they were watching a movie. But that felt like a lifetime ago.

She listened to a bunch of people talking about Ben, saying about how much they were going to miss him but Y/N just rolled her eyes at the comments. None of them were even remotely close to Ben. Mr Barber walked into the room and looked over at Y/N and Jacob. "You guys ready to go?" He asked them and they both nodded, "Did you bring your coats?"

"Yeah, mom put them upstairs with the others." Jacob told him.

"Alright, I'll go and get them. Meet me at the door." Mr Barber told them before leaving the room. Jacob held Y/N's hand as they both walked to the door. They walked passed Derek's friends and Y/N shivered at the dirty looks they were giving both of them.

'Derek has been talking shit about us, I know he has.' Y/N thought to herself but shrugged it off as they walked past them. They saw Ben's mom at the door and Y/N looked at the bags under her eyes, "Hey, Mrs Rifkin." Y/N said to her. She'd met her before, she liked her quite a bit.

"Oh, Y/N. Thank you for coming.. Ben would be so happy to know you'd came.." Mrs Rifkin sniffed a little before hugging Y/N loosely, she hugged her back. Mr Barber came down the stairs and Y/N pulled away from her. After Mr Barber had made small talk with her, the three of them left the house and got into the car.

"Did you finish your homework?" Mr Barber asked them both as they drove down the road.

"Yeah, mom made us finish it- even though it's not due until next week." Jacob answered him, and continued to talk about how the characters name was a symbol- Y/N didn't listen to it. She was busy thinking about Ben's mom and how awful she had looked. Y/N really hoped they'd find the killer soon so that she could have some piece at mind, knowing that justice had been served. Y/N zoned back in after a few moments, listening back to the conversation.

"I mean, half those people had never even spoken to Ben. But they're acting like they were his best friends. Kind of fake, you know? Nobody's gonna call them out on it though because then you look like a jerk."

"Fair enough." Mr Barber replied, "Did you guys get anything to eat?"

Y/N's stomach answered for the both of them, it gave a loud rumble- making the whole car burst out with laughter.

"Okay then, I guess we'll go and get diner."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks for reading! Don't forget to vote and comment!