Chapter 22

*Edited*

A year has past since The Battle of New York and it was now Christmas time this year. A lot has changed since then. I walked inside our house and froze when I see Tony in his Iron Man suit just sitting their on the couch.

"Is there a reason to why?" I asked him and continued walking. "Is this Mark 15 or whatever number you're making?"

Tony glances down to see the number. "Uh, yeah. Something like that. You know, everybody needs a hobby." He answered.

"And wearing your suit around the house is a hobby?" I asked him and sat down on a chair.

"Just breaking it in. You know, it's always a little pinch in the gooey bag at first so..." He defended himself and I laugh. "Well, hey did you see your Christmas present?" He asked me.

"I did and I told you not to get me anything big." I told him and poured me and him a glass of white wine. "Of course it's not big. I wouldn't do anything unless it's your birthday. Tense? Good day? Huh?" He changed the subject and started to massage my shoulders. "Ooh, shoulders, a little knotty. Naughty girl. I don't want to harp on this, but did you like any present I give you?" He asked.

I turned around in my chair and gave him a smile. "I always like your gift. Do I prefer that you get me something small or nothing at all? Yeah I do, but i appreciate that you were thinking about me before you buy them." I told him before I stood up. "Now will you please come out of the suit so we can do something fun?" I asked.

He tapped on his helmet. "Yep. Damn it, no can do. You want to just kiss it in the... The facial slit?" He asked and this confirms that he wasn't in the suit

"You do know I can break this suit with my power right?" I asked him with a knowing smirk. "Yep. I realize that but you'll be damaging a hot body." He said.

"I'll take my chances." He froze and looked at me and I laughed at him. "I'm kidding I'll just go get a crowbar and help you out." I said and started walking towards the garage.

"Oh! Except there's been a radiation leak." He stuttered out but I ignore him and continue walking down the stairs and the suit follow me.

"If I can survive falling from the sky twice, I can survive a radiation." I said. "That's risky." He said and I made it to the garage to see him doing pull ups. "At least, let me get you like, a hazmat suit you can..." he grunts as he pulls himself up. "A Geiger counter or something like that." He does it again before coming down. "Busted."

I look at a table to see he already ate and it was date night today. "So you ate without me?" I stated the obvious.

"Yeah. I didn't know when you were coming home or were having drinks with that co-worker of yours. Daniel Anderson." He said and I looked at him with shock.

His suit turned to look at me and I thought it was accusing me of something. "What are you looking at?" I said to it and it walked away and I looked back at Tony. "Why the hell are you spying on me? The guy is married!" I exclaimed. Can't believe he doesn't have any faith in me and we've been together for almost 4 years. If I wanted to leave I would have. "I'm going to bed." I said and turned around to leave.

"Come on. Eve?" He said. "Hey, I admit it. My fault. Sorry." He yelled and I stop walking up the stairs. "I'm a piping hot mess." He dropped his arms to his side.

I walked back down the stairs and inside the garage. "It's been going on for a while. I haven't said anything." He folded his arm. "Nothings been the same since New York." He said.

"I know that Tony and it probably will never go back to how it use to be." I told him.

"You experience things and then they're over, and you still can't explain them. Gods, aliens, other dimensions. I'm just a man in a can. The only reason I haven't cracked up is probably because you moved in." He said and I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Which is great. I love you. I'm lucky. But honey, I can't sleep. You go to bed, I come down here. I do what I know. I tinker. I..." he sat down and sighs. "Threat is imminent. And I have to protect the one thing that I can't live without. That's you." He pointed at me. "And my suits, they're, uh..."

"Machines." I finished for him. "They're part of me." He said. "A distraction." I stated. "Maybe."

I walked up to him and he put his head against my chest and I put my hands behind his neck. He pulled his head up and I took the headpiece off him and he stared up at me. "I'm sorry this has been happening to you. If the dreams of that day gets so bad I can use my powers to make them disappear. And I can protect myself. Believe me when I say I don't need you to save me when I can save myself." I told him and I stare at him with admiration in my eyes. "I'm gonna take a shower." I said and walked away from him.

"Okay." He said as he watches me leave. I looked over my shoulder. "And you're gonna join me." I said and he immediately got up. "Better." He said and walked after me.

~•~

I was sleeping next to Tony when I woke up from the bed shaking. I groggily open my eyes to see what was going on but there nothing until the bed shook again.

I looked over to see a sleeping Tony but his face was scrunched up and I knew he was having a nightmare. I turn around in his arms and shook his shoulder. "Tony." I said but he wasn't waking up and he kept jumping every now and then.

I didn't want him to go through this so I held my hands out and my white flares was dancing around my hand before they started to drift towards Tony. Before they could reach him I was grabbed by my neck and shoved down on the bed by a Iron Man suit.

Tony woke up from the commotion and got out the bed. Before he could do anything I used my power to break his suit into pieces.

The lights turned on as Tony sat on the bed gasping for air. "I must have called it in my sleep." Tony assumed. "That's not supposed to happen." He said then stared at the broken suit. "I'll recalibrate the sensors."

"I don't care, just..." I yelled out before I calmed myself down. "I just want to go to bed." I said and laid back down. Tony nodded his head and cuddled next to me and we both went to sleep.