Brela Chapter 2: The Unusual Meeting

Last night had been a walking nightmare, and this morning was no better. A part of me had expected to wake up and realise it had been just that, a nightmare, but it was not so. I hadn't even had a cup of coffee before I had left my apartment, Yuki at my side, unable to bear the realisation any longer.

I had aimlessly wandered through the city and now found myself at a park a few blocks away from my apartment. Despite the early morning, it was crowded with families. I was lucky to have found an empty bench, as all the others were occupied. From my distant position, I watched the children run around the playground screaming and laughing. Smiles were everywhere I looked; the parents, the children, even the sun seemed to smile. But I could not bring myself to smile with them, not after the news I had received yesterday. So, I sat alone in the shadow of the sole, lonely oak tree.

Yuki laid beside me, head resting on her paws. Her soft eyes followed the odd bypasser as they moved past me. Up on this hill, there was no one else, and those who passed didn't spare me a second glance. I preferred it that way.

What am I going to do? I asked myself. My hand moved to the necklace I always wore; a small silver rose that sat between my collar bones. Everything is gone. The last piece I had of you is gone, and my world has fallen apart all over again. Please, Dad, I need help. Now more than ever, I need your guidance. I closed my eyes, dropping the chain from my fist. I need you. I always have.

I opened my eyes, hanging my head. Why did he have to leave? Why did I get dealt this crappy hand? Why did my life have to go this way? It was fine before I lost everyone.

"You're a hard person to find, Miss Prenott." A voice spoke from behind me.

My head whipped around as I pivoted on the bench. Yuki lifted her head in response to my sudden movement. Our eyes searched for the source of the voice.

Leaning against the old oak was a woman. She observed me, her face never shifting as she pushed herself off the tree trunk and walked towards me, her long black hair shifting in the breeze. Despite the heat, she wore a long black coat, a turtleneck black shirt, and boots.

"Who are you?" I asked. The woman didn't answer as she sat down beside me. She was not put off by Yuki's presence, who was now sitting up and watching the woman's every move. Like always, Yuki waited for me to tell her what to do. "What do you want?"

"Nothing, for now. I just want to chat." The stranger's voice was calm and smooth. She relaxed, leaning back with her legs crossed and hands on her lap.

"Sorry, but I'm not really in the mood to talk," I grumbled as I crossed my arms, shifting away from the woman. My attention returned to the playground. Never letting her guard down, Yuki pressed herself against my leg, eyes still on the stranger.

"Ah, but I think you'll want to hear what I have to say," the stranger said, a grin growing on her face. I let out a sigh as I turned to look at her. Taking that as a sign to continue, the woman spoke again.

"What do you think about the theory of the multiverse?" She asked, her amber eyes questioning. My expression shifted to one of scepticism and confusion. Was she serious? This was what she wanted to talk to me about? A stupid theory?

"Seriously?" I raised an eyebrow. The stranger just sat there staring at me, waiting, expecting an answer. I huffed. "It's an unproven theory; a story. It doesn't exist." My blunt response didn't offset the woman.

"What if I told you that it did? And that I could prove it?" She looked towards the kids on the playground, her gaze seeming distant.

"Then I would probably think you were crazy and laugh."

"It does exist," the stranger said simply. She turned back to me and watched my facial expression, clearly looking for something. I just stared back at her. "You're not laughing," she pointed out.

"I'm leaning towards you being insane."

"Haven't you always thought that there should be something more to your life, something..." the woman hesitated, looking for the word, "bigger?"

"Not really." Yes.

"Well, there is. I'm here because I want to recruit you. I want you to join MEPA."

"Join what?" I asked, confused.

"The Multiversal Enforcement and Protection Agency, or MEPA for short. We protect the barriers of the infinite worlds to make sure they don't fracture."

"Hold on, you weren't joking about the whole multiverse thing?" I asked flatly.

"No." Her face was completely serious, and there was no twinkle in her eyes as she spoke. This woman wasn't joking around or lying. She truly believed what she was saying.

"Okay, let's say that what you say is true and I believe you, which I don't,"—I wasn't buying any of this. Clearly this woman was crazy, delusional, likely both. "Why do the barriers need protecting?"

"Because of the world jumpers." I scrunched my brow. None of what this stranger was saying made sense to me. "People who can travel to different worlds in the multiverse—like me," She explained. "When world jumpers travel between worlds, we run the risk of breaking a world's barriers. You see, each world has its own unique laws. If I, for example, were to bring a gun to a world where they still used swords, that world's laws would be fractured, which is where MEPA steps in.

"We remove the item or information that caused the fracture, then alter the witness's memory of that item or information. This repairs the fracture, and our job is done."

"So, you want me to join this group of people, all of whom believe in this crazy theory of the multiverse being real, and help repair worlds' barriers?" I asked.

"Yes."

"You're crazy," I chuckled, shaking my head. "You need to find some help."

"That's what they all say," the stranger said, standing up from the bench. "This is a one-time offer, so don't dwell on it for too long. If you want in, meet me on the southern bridge at ten tonight with any personal effects you want to bring with you. That's twelve hours, more than enough time for you to make your choice." With that, the strange woman turned to walk away, leaving my mind reeling.

I found myself turning around to watch the woman walk back towards the oak tree.  A noise came from the tree as a second woman jumped out of its branches, her long dirty blond hair streaming out behind her. She landed crouched beside the first woman. As she rose to her feet, the two of them vanished into thin air.

I reeled back, my breath caught in my throat. Yuki leapt to her feet, tail straight with her hackles up and teeth bared, a snarl not far behind. Our eyes were glued on the spot where the two women had been not a second earlier.

What just happened?