Brela Chapter 40: Rayja

Verra led Cheryl, Mae, Justin and I through MEPA. The rest of the unit leaders had remained behind, hoping that they could learn more about the author of the text and possibly understand it more through hearing the document as it was written. Any questions I had about the text were gone, replaced by an anxious feeling rising in my chest. This girl, who would she be? Why were the eternals after her? What was her past?

The crowd, sensing the urgence from our group, parted easily. We jogged all the way to the private rooms, and there Cheryl excused herself and left the group, entering her husband's room. Verra's hand hovered above the doorknob. She turned to address us.

"We're not sure what language the girl speaks, so keep that in mind. We're trying not to overload her, so be quiet and no sudden movements; she's jumpy," the healer said. With a nod from the two guards, Verra opened the door and led us inside.

The young girl's eyes snapped to us as soon as the door opened. They were a bright green, stunning really, but the fear in them was stronger than the colour.

"Hey, it's okay." Magda held her hands out. She sat beside the bed, trying to assure the girl all was okay. "They're friends, I promise." The girl didn't relax. Her back was rigid, her posture telling me she was ready to bolt any second. Her vitals were still displayed on the screen opposite of her bed, with only an IV in her arm. I smiled at the girl, trying to appear as friendly as possible.

I moved out of the doorway, letting Justin enter after me.

Edoline was back against the far wall, her eyes watching the girl and our entrance. Despite Verra telling us we were trying not to scare the girl, Edoline's aura didn't give off the friendly tone. Her arms were crossed, and a dark cloak replaced her usual coat. Her sword was still on her back, and daggers clear in her belt. No wonder the girl looked frightened.

Mae was the last to enter, pulling the door shut behind her. She turned, and that was when the girl screamed.

It was shrill and ear piercing, the pitch of it making all of us jump and flinch, even Edoline. The girl leapt off the bed and crossed the room in a mere second, the IV ripped from her arm and the heart monitor tore off. The door crashed open, and the guards burst in, swords already drawn. Edoline made a move to stop the girl, her arm out to catch the child. The vivifica never touched her, as the girl was gone, hiding under a table. I acted first.

"Stand down," I commanded, whirling around on the guards. The authority in my voice was powerful. "She is no threat."

The guards didn't move, only blinked at me with shock. They hadn't expected that tone or command from me. Neither had I.

"Stand down," Mae repeated. The guards listened then. Mae gave me a nod, but it didn't matter. I moved over to the girl.

She was crammed under the corner table, her knees pulled up against her chest. The fear in her eyes was overwhelming. She was shaking. As I approached, she moved further back, pulling away from me. I stopped and dropped into a crouch as soon as she shied away.

"Hey hey hey, it's okay." My voice was soft. I held my hands up, showing I was no threat. "I'm not going to hurt you, I promise. See?" I grabbed my swords from my waist and rolled them away. I took the ring off my finger and rolled it away too. "No weapons."

"Brela," Justin warned.

"It's okay," I said. I didn't remove my gaze from her. She was frozen, her eyes locked onto me. She trembled, her fear overpowering her. Any wrong sound, any sudden movements would set her off.

"I know, we look a little scary, right?" I offered her a little smile. "But we just want to help you, okay?" She didn't move.

I leaned backwards, turning to address everyone else. "Anyone who doesn't need to be here, leave. We're scaring her." Once again, no one moved, instead looking at Mae for guidance.