Loving You...

The next day I traveled to the office with Kai and Nathan.

Ever since our dinner last night Kai had been relatively quiet.

Whenever I tried making eye contact with him he purposely looked away. I wondered if it was because he was a little shy about what he said the other day, but the more he avoided looking at me, I suspected otherwise...

"What's in the bag, Hazel?" Nathan was looking at me through the rear view mirror and I chuckled...

"Oh, nothing... just my lunch..." Nathan smiled and nodded.

"We have several meetings today. We're in the post-production phase of the Nagoya model. So we'll need to approve further testing on site. I think we should send a few of our mechanic experts..." while Nathan spoke, I watched Kai. He had placed his index finger on his lip while he gazed at his iPad. He nodded at every other statement Nathan made...

So he could ignore me but talk to Nathan?

I sat back into my seat a little further...

Just what did I do so wrong?

Later into the afternoon I sat in the bathroom stall looking over the gift I bought. I know Kai didn't celebrate his birthday... but even with his protests, in my own way, I just wanted to do something a little special for him beforehand...

But of course I was mulling over when to give this to him because of his sour attitude... even at lunch he only glanced at me a few times... 

I sighed to myself while hugging onto the gift... when I walked out of the stall a woman was there and I jumped. She stared at me suspiciously and I chuckled out of embarrassment...

I had been in my own world again... I turned away and headed back to the office.

Nathan and Kai were on the Marketing floor so I had his space all to myself.

I placed the bag on one of the seats and looked at some of the photos he placed on his desk... there were some portraits of his family and one's with his brothers. I smiled to myself while the door suddenly opened. 

I put the picture down and looked over. It was Kai. He was flipping through some documents in a folder. He walked right past me and sat behind his desk...

If he wasn't going to say something first, then I would.

"Here..." I said and he finally looked up a little puzzled. When he realized he looked up he glanced ever so slightly to the side.

"You can open it. It's for you..." he must have recognized it from the car earlier... so he gently picked it up and looked inside. He then brought out the little tin from inside and opened it.

"Mochi?" he said and I smiled.

"Yes..."

"Where did you buy it?"

"I didn't buy it I made them..."

"You did?" he looked up at me surprised.

"Edna told me they were your favourite dessert growing up so I learnt how to make them..." there was a brief amount of silence between us.

"Look, this isn't a gift or celebration or anything... I just had some spare time on my hands..." I felt suddenly embarrassed, but I noticed a smile had formed across his lips...

"Thank you..." he then picked up one of the squishy round desserts and ate it. I waited for his reaction and he nodded. "They're delicious..."

Of course they are. They were my tenth batch and I tasted them to make sure. They needed to be perfect...