Facing The Future, Together

I carried a bouquet of pink carnations, red roses, and baby's breath forward...

Carnations were my mother's favourite flower...

While I walked closer to her grave, Kai let me go ahead.

I hesitated a little before kneeling before her tombstone. I knew my aunt came often to clean her place of rest, so I only had to move a few fallen leaves...

The only time I was grateful towards my aunt... was her devotion to my mother.

"Hey mom... it's me... I know it's been a while...I'm sorry... that it took me so long to get here... but I'm here..." I laid the flowers above her grave and then sat down beside her more comfortably.

"I found myself in quite the interesting situation... and I met a family that has been keeping me busy..." I paused for a moment. "And I met someone... I think you would like him..." I briefly looked over my shoulder...

Kai was standing in the distance with his hands in his pockets. While looking up at the sky he closed his eyes.

"I want to introduce you to him... but first, let me tell you and interesting story about this old man I met..."

*

Some time later Kai sat down next to me. He bowed politely towards my mother's grave.

"Mom, this is Kai... the man I was telling you about..."

"It's nice to meet you..." Kai said. I held onto his hand.

"He's my partner..." that seemed to make him happy... so he squeezed my hand a little. He then looked down at the engravings and spoke shortly after.

"Evelyn... I promise to take care of your daughter... and I'm sure... you would be proud of her..."

I rested my head on his shoulder again and the two of his sat there talking for quite some time.

I promised her I would visit again, and while we left, hand in hand, I looked up at him again.

"You know... I wish we had met sooner..." I stopped and Kai followed my steps and then turned to face me.

"Mmm... but the most important thing is that we're together now..." I nodded while a gust of wind passed through us both. A fallen petal from somewhere brushed against my cheek... and while I turned to see where it flew off to... my mom's gravestone appeared in the distance...

"Let's go home..." Kai said and I smiled again... while walking forward together he also added: "I haven't been able to visit my parents... but I think I can... if you went with me."

I was a little stunned that he suggested that I would be the one to accompany him...

And in that moment, it felt like we were becoming stronger together... I nodded again while we walked back to his car...

*

When we got back to Ravenwolf manor, I was exhauted... all I wanted to do was sleep. Kai helped me take off my jacket and then we both walked into the foyer together.

For some reason it felt like I had forgotten something... but so many things had transpired in the last 24 hours that my brain wasn't catching up quite yet...

"You should rest a little..." Kai touched the top of my hand gently and I nodded...

When we were half-way up the steps I realized what I forgot. Kenz had asked me to help her with her art project...

"Damn!" I shouted, startling Kai who turned to me.

"What happened?"

"I need to find Kenz. I made a promise with her..." I started walking away and Kai reached out to hold onto my arm and I smiled. "It's okay... she just needed some help with her art project..."

Ravenwolf's Roseजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें