FORTY FIVE

It took them awhile to reach the Woodland region that's the border between Hyrule Field and the Eldin region. In fact, Death Mountain was right behind the stable and right at its feet was the Great Hyrule Forest that hid the Lost Woods. The group stayed at the Woodland Stable for the night and head out early the next morning, helping Link conquer the Woodland Tower, battling the broken monster camp in the middle of the bog. Sesshoumaru had an easier time battling the monsters crowding the feet of the tower using a giant boomerang that they found in a chest in the nearby settlement ruin. Kagome does her best sniping monsters left and right while Link jumped right into the camp, slashing and beheading monsters like a tornado of blades.

It was high noon when they finally killed all the monsters surrounding the tower. Kagome sighed as she stood beside Sesshoumaru as they watched the familiar Sheikah blue lighting the tower. Behind them and across the large body of water bordering the broken camp and the steep cliff sides was what can only be described as a haunted wood. The fogs there so thick that it obscured all details inside. Kagome shivered, "I hope we make it through before nightfall. I'd hate to get caught in there at night,"

Sesshoumaru narrowed his eyes, trying and failing to see past the fogs. He concluded, "The fogs are enchanted,"

Kagome looked up as Link swooped down from above and landed like a bird in front of them, "I think I saw Hestu heading this way,"

Kagome grinned, "Great! Let's hand him his poops!"

Sesshoumaru grunted, "Finally,"

It didn't take them long to meet up with the lumbering Hestu as he waddled towards the forest. But he certainly stopped when two familiar voices and a familiar grunt reached him. Kagome greeted him with a wide wave, "Hestu~!"

Hestu was glad to see his friends reaching him, "Shakalah!! Kagome! Link...Sei-sho-maru!"

Sesshoumaru leveled a glare at the butchering done on his name but Kagome patted his bicep like soothing an angry cat, "Come on, Sesshoumaru. He's getting it better and better," Link nodded helpfully beside her. He decided that it's not worth withering the plant-based root creature in front of him; Hestu had proven to be useful on their journey.

Kagome turned her excited gaze to her large friend, "So, what are you doing here, Hestu?"

Hestu shake his maracas, "I'm heading home to Korok Forest! Grandpa must be worried! I haven't been home for so long, sho-ko..." He wilted a little at the thought. Sharing a look with Link, Kagome and Link began to cheer their friend with tales of their adventure. Hestu cheerfully told them his own adventures and the strange things he saw that people does on his journey. They also found out that the Great Deku Tree was Hestu's Grandpa. The sun slowly climbed down from the sky as they reached deeper and deeper into the woods when the fine hairs on both Link and Kagome's neck rose.

Something does not feel right...

Link froze when wolves howled in the depth of the forest, fogs growing thicker and thicker. Hestu ignored the wolves as he cheered at the sight of still standing entryway, "We are here! Now we just need to get past the Skull Kids..."

Kagome blinked away the sudden dizziness that had slowly descended on her, "What kids?"

Hestu pointed past the fogs, "The Skull Kids guard the Lost Woods. They used to be shy of people and like pranking travellers...by that was until the old Lost Woods was burned down by war. Since then they don't trust anyone not trusted by the Koroks. Since you're with me, they won't harm you but they will try to make it hard for you, shoko..."

Link had this familiar look that signaled returning memories but unlike before, ever since he rescued two of the Divine Beasts, it seemed that only certain memories hurt him to the point of fainting. He then whispered, "They were lost children..."