NINETEEN

Sesshoumaru stared, barely recalling the night before, at the group of Bokoblins chatting nearby. He looked at Kagome who's glaring at the group, anxious to clear them up but at the same time know that they need to get to Kakariko before nightfall. After last night, he can't stop thinking about her.

He was in pain, a pain that he had never experienced and coming from a long line of warriors Sesshoumaru had gone through battles beside his Sire as they clear up the land for the Grandson. He had been cut, shot at, suffocated, drowned, lashed, crushed and had walked through flames and acids alike as he grew into the warrior he now stand as. Yet the pain of last night eclipsed all that, even the weakness in his bones that seeped away at his life force and sanity could not compare. Even the ever present hunger for the Miko's blood cannot compare, he was in that much pain. His Beast had been forced to the surface, his sentience corroding from the pain.

For once, he felt a terror unlike any before.

Growing up in on the battlefield had steeled his nerves that little scares him, but the feel of his sanity and self-control being wrestled out of his hand had frightened him that he became nothing more than a pup, scared of his surrounding and most of all scared of himself. Then her scent enveloped him as her voice reached him. Once again the priestess had saved him, anchoring his senses to the world and culling the need to lash out to the demonic energy that affected the very world itself.

She rescued him, unaware of the damage he could have dealt her...or aware and uncaring for herself. She had promised him that she will not let him be lost to the Calamity's influence, and he had doubted her words. Humans seldom stay true and Sesshoumaru had seen their betrayals to their own faith often enough to be wary of promises made by humanity. And yet this slip of a girl had turned that belief inside out and scatters it to the wind.

She's an exception, he decided, her and that boy.

Sesshoumaru looked at Link, recalling his voice and scent mixing with hers as they try to comfort his mindless self in the only way they can. Sesshoumaru also remembered coming around for a short while and saw him standing guard, letting Kagome sleep with him in her arm. He could have run off, avoid seeing the monstrosity that was Sesshoumaru. Yet he ignored his safety, his quest and his personal need in favor of watching over Sesshoumaru in his weakest and most volatile condition.

Link came back with some food in his hands, "Breakfast, anyone?"

As usual, Sesshoumaru received his cut of meat for his meal. But before it reaches him, Kagome grabbed the skewer and wordlessly pierce her finger to drop blood on each meal carefully before returning the skewers to him. Sesshoumaru silently accepted his meal and studied the two.

After Kagome received a more clear direction from the stable hand, Link still wary of strangers and Sesshoumaru's not one for conversation (he'd rather get lost finding his way around than ask), the trio set off. They had suggested for Link to catch himself and Kagome a horse but any of the wild steeds fled from Sesshoumaru's presence, spooked by the heavy presence he carried with him.

The group walked as they did the day before, coming across blobs of Chuchu that leave behind globs of jellies that can be sold or used in potion.

Kagome wordlessly pulled her bow and quiver, aiming and shooting whatever she target before running after the flying arrow to pick it up. As they watched her rinse and repeat as usual, Link suddenly asked, "Are you...alright?"

Sesshoumaru looked at him, sensing the pure concern lacking ulterior motive from his scratchy voice and his scent like the wilderness, before looking away and asked in return, "Why did you watch over us?" The lost Lord watched as confusion flitted across his face before he answered, "Because you're my friends,"