THREE

Sesshoumaru was the first one to rouse after a long night of sandstorm. He looked beside him as the girl had somehow burrowed herself under the trailing end of his Moko-moko pelt, escaping from the skin peeling sands. On any other day and in any other situation he would have melted her with his corrosive poison, as he had planned back in his sire's tomb. But at the moment, and precisely because of what he had planned back in the tomb, they became stranded in a land that felt so wrong his very skin felt tight over his humanoid disguise.

He waited until he heard her slow and steady breathing show signs of waking up. He stood up and the action alone made the whole world swim around him. Had he been anyone lesser, like his bastard sibling for example, he would have cursed with how weak this strange land made him feel.

Kagome opened her eyes to the sight of Sesshoumaru swaying unsteadily above her. Yawning, she sat up from where she had laid down on the cold sand, warmed by her body. She hazily remembered shivering and finding something warm to cover her chilled body with. Looking at the very soft, very warm pelt on Sesshoumaru's shoulder, she could deduce easily what it was that kept the worse of the desert icy chill from claiming her body.

Standing up and stretching her muscles, she looked at Sesshoumaru with worry as he continued to move unsteadily forward. She could hear how his very breathing labored and she wondered just what it was that's making him seemed so sick. She warily followed him a shy few steps behind as the proud youkai pressed forward against his unwell form. As they passed the twisted and melted metal that was his armor, black beyond recognition, she shivered in repulse and instinctive fear, glad that she took it off of him.

The walk seemed to be endless and Kagome wondered if Sesshoumaru knew the direction he's heading. She yawned as her skin started to chill from the ridiculous heat as the sun beat on their hapless self, even if the proud youkai in front of her would never admit it. The sun has been climbing steadily above them as the heat started to rise to unbearable. Holding her cardigan over her head in hope of defending some of the heat from her fragile human skin, Kagome studied Sesshoumaru quietly.

The youkai before her was undoubtedly strong, overwhelmingly so. All of Inuyasha's attacks that have destroyed most of their attacker from before were batted away like flies. In fact, she believed that the only reason they remained alive and the use of the Mu-Onna was because Sesshoumaru wanted the sword and the whereabouts of their father's tomb from Inuyasha. Hell, Inuyasha's survival into adulthood was probably because Sesshoumaru was busy doing something else and Inuyasha was nothing more than a tiny existence that he couldn't care less of taking into account.

Sesshoumaru stumbled as the air that was clean of the taint of wrongness shifted. His mind immediately supplied that the creature that was the origin of the wrongness must have been walking in a loop. Currently it was heading directly toward them.

Kagome immediately perked up with caution as she noticed him stumbling ahead. Not knowing if it was okay to approach him, she hesitated. When he pressed forward, she continued along but came even closer with each stumble until she was one touch away from him. They soon came across an extension of strange white rock formations but as they came over the hill of sands Kagome gawked at the dinosaur bone protruding from the sands, "What?"

Sesshoumaru heard the human behind him that kept coming closer the more weakness he showed whispered, "Dinosaurs? Does Japan even have a dinosaur history?" She sounded like she was talking to herself, for her tone sounded full of disbelief and quiet. He didn't know what she meant by dinosaurs but the bones looming ahead looked to be good place for him to weather through yet another hellish session with that unnatural life heading toward them at a steady pace.